• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent Adotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xailia

Washington

My ex-husband (who resides in Ohio)wants to give up his parental rights and allow my new husband to adopt our son. Will this clear him of the 15k he owes in back child support?

Last edited:

Zephyr

no it would not automatically erase the arrears- however (if the arrears are not owed to the state for reimbursement of aid recieved by you and the child) you have the ability to forgive those arrears if you are so inclined

Neal1421

Xailia said:
Washington

My ex-husband (who resides in Ohio)wants to give up his parental rights and allow my new husband to adopt our son. Will this clear him of the 15k he owes in back child support?What is the name of your state?
No, it will not. He will still owe the money unless you chose to forgive the amount.

Neal1421

Zephyr said:
no it would not automatically erase the arrears- however (if the arrears are not owed to the state for reimbursement of aid recieved by you and the child) you have the ability to forgive those arrears if you are so inclined
We must have been typing around the same time. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">