• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmom with questions!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaurey

What is the name of your state?
New England

Hello , I"m new to this so hopefully I do this right. I'm the stepmom of two girls that live in another state. My husband and his ex had an ugly split, about 6 years ago. And is at a constant battle with her just to SEE his kids. When he was finally granted his visiation, she picked up and moved out of state. She has sole custody so can she do that? Doesn't matter now anyway it's been 3 years. But from the time she moved he wrote the kids called them sent gifts and asked to bring them back to our state on vacations, she always said no. We even offered to pay her way also. So it was pretty clear that her move was really not to benefit herself, but to keep the kids away from him. Long story short, we get them one month in the summer WE pay all airfare, and pay her child support durning our visiation. But also in the court order it said that she keeps the health insurance on the kids but out of pocket he's to pay 40% and she pay the rest (of what her insurance doesn't cover) She emailed a few months ago that we would have some bills coming our way, but she hasn't sent them, if she doesn't send these will i be in contempt of court for them not being paid?
Also, i had my child support lower because of me paying airfare, i offered to pay for that to have it lower cause she claimed paying 215.00 a week per kids for daycare. Which made my child support to be around 250.00-300.00 a week she agreed on 165.00.
I'm I allowed to know who's watching my children? And how much it's costing her? I belive now she has a babysitter, I'm not asking for personal info on the person , but i would like to know the hours and how much they charge, where she has sole custody is that just none on my business? Hope Not.

Thanks for you input.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your post is pretty confusing, to be honest. Especially the way you switched from stepmom to Dad. It's not clear what you actually pay for child support (although you apparently pay for airfare) or who pays for daycare.

haiku

exactly, you neglect to mention which New england state you live in, then in midpost you switch from being step mom to dad?......

maybe you should decide where you are and who you are and get back to us?......

feastervilee

I also noticed that, but i don't think the question would be any different would it ????????????????

Seem to me he/she is saying that they are paying 165.00 plus airfare.

haiku

feastervilee said:
I also noticed that, but i don't think the question would be any different would it ????????????????

Seem to me he/she is saying that they are paying 165.00 plus airfare.
some of the questions it would be helpful to know the state we are dealing with....

michaurey

Sorry for all the confusion, I guess you could say the both of us have the questions i just can type faster then him! Like i said I'm new to this.
He pays 165.00 a week , which comes out to be around 110.00 child support and 55.00 to for daycare. She pays the daycare directly herself. They(court) orignally figured about 240.00 a week that's why he agreed to pay for airfare, so he could have the lowered.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
$55 a week for daycare (even just afterschool care) for two kids is really quite reasonable.

michaurey

This is not daycare, this is a babysitter that watches them for and half hour till she gets home from work everyday. Somehow she's able to put this on the child support worksheet though. Without providing proof.

My child support obligation is 40%

I figure the "average" teenage babysitter probably makes about 5.00 an hour (when i use to do it i got 2.50 an hour and that wasn't so long ago)

She babysits 2.5 hours a week at 5 dollars and hour for two kids that equals 25.00 a week in which i'm obigated 40% of that whic is 10.00. So i think she's getting way more than enough.
If is she paid her 10.00 a hour she's still getting more then plenty from me.
But that's not the question at hand. thanks for you imput though!

LdiJ

michaurey said:
This is not daycare, this is a babysitter that watches them for and half hour till she gets home from work everyday. Somehow she's able to put this on the child support worksheet though. Without providing proof.

My child support obligation is 40%

I figure the "average" teenage babysitter probably makes about 5.00 an hour (when i use to do it i got 2.50 an hour and that wasn't so long ago)

She babysits 2.5 hours a week at 5 dollars and hour for two kids that equals 25.00 a week in which i'm obigated 40% of that whic is 10.00. So i think she's getting way more than enough.
If is she paid her 10.00 a hour she's still getting more then plenty from me.
But that's not the question at hand. thanks for you imput though!
What is it that you are hoping for? The original child support calculated out at 240.00 (although originally you said 250-300) a week and you are paying 165.00....and your income possibly has increased since the child support order was made. Be careful....I have seen people in these types of scenarios end up with increases when they attempt to lower support.

michaurey

That was when she claimed she paid 240.00 a week per kid. Figures after that judgement was put into place she moved closer to her work, therefore not need the daycare anymore, just a babysitter.
Also we made a few thousand less this past year the the year before and she's make about 6 bucks more then so i highly doubt that it would be a problem getting it lower but i'm not. THAT WAS NEVER THE QUESTION.

I was wondering if we are allowed to to know who's watching my kids even though she has sole custody? Also we have to pay doctor's bills that her insurance doesn't cover (40% of out of pocket)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless Dad's order requires that she provide that information to you, she's under no obligation to do so.

michaurey

OPPS i hit enter by mistake what i was saying the other question is we have to pay 40% of out of pocket doctor bills that her insurance doesn't cover, but she has not submitted any of those to us, but has emailed telling us that she has them. will i be found in contempt of court for not paying them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">