• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micmac

I was just told the stepparent adoption went through. My son was getting auxiliary benefits from my ssdi - that stops now right?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I was just told the stepparent adoption went through. My son was getting auxiliary benefits from my ssdi - that stops now right?
May I assume you expect us to go through your posting history? LOL Not happening.

micmac

Why would you need to go through history? My ex's husband adopted my son. So being that he's no longer "mine" then the auxiliary benefits she receives in lieu of child support should cease right? I just want to make sure I know what's going on

LdiJ

Perhaps not. I know that social security death benefits for children (when one parent has died) survive a stepparent adoption, its possible that auxiliary disability benefits do as well. I think that is a question that should be posed directly to the SSA.

Last edited:

micmac

My ex stated the lady at SSA checked with someone else and said that he was still eligible but even my ex admitted that seemed a little strange. How is it possible for that to 'survive' the adoption when there is paperwork saying he is no longer my son? From a legal standpoint that seems off

single317dad

This is not your problem. Since you no longer have a child together, you and your ex have no reason to communicate further.

Just Blue

My ex stated the lady at SSA checked with someone else and said that he was still eligible but even my ex admitted that seemed a little strange. How is it possible for that to 'survive' the adoption when there is paperwork saying he is no longer my son? From a legal standpoint that seems off
Why do you care? It has no effect on you and your pocketbook. :rolleyes:

micmac

So my other son gets reduced benefits now? Son A was adopted but there is still son B and instead of receiving the full amount as he should, he's capped at half?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">