• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stipend wage assignment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hppy2bamom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My ex and I have the same employers (I am a regular employee, he is a seasonal employee and receives a stipend every December). At the beginning of 2010 the court ordered him to pay $136/mo plus $390 or 50% of childcare. On the forms it says "total child support $526/mo" and it is to be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month. NCP wasn't paying so I sent my court order to Child Support Services in April so that they could help me collect. This past summer they sent our employer information about the wage assignment. Our employer sent the information to NCP and he mentioned "you'll be getting a nice check in December; Merry Christmas!" and handed me the packet from our employer. I was only able to read the first page before he took it back but it seemed like they were notifying him that there would be a wage garnishment taking place.
It is now December and NCP has received his full check. Was this supposed to happen? Did they not garnish his check because it was a stipend?
I've been taking care of our daughter (financially) on my own and have not been depending on him but I definitely thought that once they were put on a wage assignment that something was supposed to happen once they were paid.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My ex and I have the same employers (I am a regular employee, he is a seasonal employee and receives a stipend every December). At the beginning of 2010 the court ordered him to pay $136/mo plus $390 or 50% of childcare. On the forms it says "total child support $526/mo" and it is to be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month. NCP wasn't paying so I sent my court order to Child Support Services in April so that they could help me collect. This past summer they sent our employer information about the wage assignment. Our employer sent the information to NCP and he mentioned "you'll be getting a nice check in December; Merry Christmas!" and handed me the packet from our employer. I was only able to read the first page before he took it back but it seemed like they were notifying him that there would be a wage garnishment taking place.
It is now December and NCP has received his full check. Was this supposed to happen? Did they not garnish his check because it was a stipend?
I've been taking care of our daughter (financially) on my own and have not been depending on him but I definitely thought that once they were put on a wage assignment that something was supposed to happen once they were paid.
Talk to the employer and/or child support services and ask them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">