• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop paying Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nealmed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I was divorced in 2000, My wife took custody of 2 daughters, while I kept 2 sons. I've been paying child support for the two girls by the divorce but she wasn't required to pay for the boys. Currently the two boys are 18, one daughter has moved to stay with me, the other stays with her. I believe that it's time for me to stop having to pay child support. Am I correct that if she has one, and I have the other. I can now petition to stop paying? How do I do that?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe that it's time for me to stop having to pay child support. Am I correct that if she has one, and I have the other. I can now petition to stop paying? How do I do that?
Not necessarily. A lot will depend on your relative incomes. Have you looked at a CS calculator for your state?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I was divorced in 2000, My wife took custody of 2 daughters, while I kept 2 sons. I've been paying child support for the two girls by the divorce but she wasn't required to pay for the boys. Currently the two boys are 18, one daughter has moved to stay with me, the other stays with her. I believe that it's time for me to stop having to pay child support. Am I correct that if she has one, and I have the other. I can now petition to stop paying? How do I do that?

Go here:

Modification: Washington State Division of Child Support

Your request may or may not be granted, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not sure which county you're in, but generally if you call the county court-house they're very helpful and will point you to the correct forms if you can't find them.

They cannot, however, tell you how to fill them out. Just saying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">