• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stop/redirect child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakota7088

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My husband is ordered to pay child support. Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother. We have heard through the grapevine that the brother does not want any support for the children. At this point the mother continues to receive the child support monthly and does not forward it to the children for their needs.
1. Why should she be able to get away with this? Talk about dead-beat.
2. How do we go about stopping or redirecting the child support to my brother-in-law?
3. Can the mother be charged with anything since she knowingly is keeping the money that should be going to support the children?
4. What would be the most cost-effective way to get this settled?

Cainlord

As you will be most likely told, please have your husband register and ask his questions as you are a legal stranger in these proceedings.

Or in short

"There is no We"

Isis1

My husband is ordered to pay child support. Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother. We have heard through the grapevine that the brother does not want any support for the children. At this point the mother continues to receive the child support monthly and does not forward it to the children for their needs.
2. How do we go about stopping or redirecting the child support to my brother-in-law?
3. Can the mother be charged with anything since she knowingly is keeping the money that should be going to support the children?
oo! let me!!

your husband is ordered to pay support. case closed.

since dad isn't concerned with the children's custody since he could care less and his nosey wife isn't concerned about the children but only trying to stiff mom instead...

if brother doesn't want the money...he doesn't have to take it. so, dad continues to pay mom. it's mom's OR brother's discretion to do anything about it.

Gracie3787

Your husband needs to file for a modification ASAP and request that the support be redirected to the guardian.

No, the mother can't get into trouble, what she's doing isn't right morally, but as long as there is a court order for her to recieve the CS she's legally able to keep it.

Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother.
If, by 'guardianship', you mean there was a legal proceeding, then it is possible that brother has been assigned, if you will, the rights to child support.

If you meant guardianship in more informal sense, as in simply custody, without a legal change order, then, I agree with the more substantive advice given by others.

If Dad were inclined to not pay mom, he should establish an interest bearing bank account and deposit all court ordered required payments into that account so that the money is available for the proper payee.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AHA

Your husband doesn't talk to his own brother about his children's care?? Why are the children with their uncle instead of with their dad?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">