+ Reply to Thread
    dakota7088 is offline Junior Member

stop/redirect child support

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My husband is ordered to pay child support. Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother. We have heard through the grapevine that the brother does not want any support for the children. At this point the mother continues to receive the child support monthly and does not forward it to the children for their needs.
    1. Why should she be able to get away with this? Talk about dead-beat.
    2. How do we go about stopping or redirecting the child support to my brother-in-law?
    3. Can the mother be charged with anything since she knowingly is keeping the money that should be going to support the children?
    4. What would be the most cost-effective way to get this settled?
    Cainlord is offline Member
    As you will be most likely told, please have your husband register and ask his questions as you are a legal stranger in these proceedings.

Or in short

"There is no We"
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota7088 View Post

My husband is ordered to pay child support. Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother. We have heard through the grapevine that the brother does not want any support for the children. At this point the mother continues to receive the child support monthly and does not forward it to the children for their needs.
    2. How do we go about stopping or redirecting the child support to my brother-in-law?
    3. Can the mother be charged with anything since she knowingly is keeping the money that should be going to support the children?
    oo! let me!!

your husband is ordered to pay support. case closed.

since dad isn't concerned with the children's custody since he could care less and his nosey wife isn't concerned about the children but only trying to stiff mom instead...

if brother doesn't want the money...he doesn't have to take it. so, dad continues to pay mom. it's mom's OR brother's discretion to do anything about it.
    Gracie3787 is offline Senior Member

Your husband needs to file for a modification ASAP and request that the support be redirected to the guardian.

No, the mother can't get into trouble, what she's doing isn't right morally, but as long as there is a court order for her to recieve the CS she's legally able to keep it.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Why is Dad not interested in gaining custody of his children himself?
    ecmst12 is online now Senior Member
    Probably because the nosey wife doesn't want someone else's children around.

Recently the mother gave guardianship of the children to my husbands brother.
    If, by 'guardianship', you mean there was a legal proceeding, then it is possible that brother has been assigned, if you will, the rights to child support.

If you meant guardianship in more informal sense, as in simply custody, without a legal change order, then, I agree with the more substantive advice given by others.

If Dad were inclined to not pay mom, he should establish an interest bearing bank account and deposit all court ordered required payments into that account so that the money is available for the proper payee.

Good luck.
    Last edited by EnforceSupport; 02-18-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    AHA
    AHA is offline Senior Member

Your husband doesn't talk to his own brother about his children's care?? Why are the children with their uncle instead of with their dad?