• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopped Paying "Cold Turkey"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanie39

What is the name of your state? Texas
I really need advice about how to handle this situation. I've been divorced for a year and have custody of my 10 year old daughter. Her dad agreed to pay child support and alimony, and has paid promptly for the past year. All of a sudden, he says that he's out of money and can't pay anymore! He took a low-paying job a few months ago, so I kind of knew this would happen sooner or later. The truth is that he needs to have his obligation modified with the court, but I don't want to be the one to tell him, or even discuss this with him. I know we'll get into an argument and I'll regret saying anything. Should I have an attorney contact him, or should I take this on myself?

Neal1421

lanie39 said:
I really need advice about how to handle this situation. I've been divorced for a year and have custody of my 10 year old daughter. Her dad agreed to pay child support and alimony, and has paid promptly for the past year. All of a sudden, he says that he's out of money and can't pay anymore! He took a low-paying job a few months ago, so I kind of knew this would happen sooner or later. The truth is that he needs to have his obligation modified with the court, but I don't want to be the one to tell him, or even discuss this with him. I know we'll get into an argument and I'll regret saying anything. Should I have an attorney contact him, or should I take this on myself?
File for contempt of court for non-payment.

lanie39 said:
Bah what he needs is a higher paying job. If he voluntarily is working below his earning potential, I'm not sure the courts will modify the support order.

Like the others said, file contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">