• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping child support in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sprice2014

I have filed papers to stop child support for my husband becasue he has custody of the child now and his ex is ordered to pay child support in the state of Missouri. Iowa does not recognize the custody or child support order from Missouri. The ex has agreed to sign papers that says she agrees to child support being stopped. I have found the settlement form but want to make sure this will work to stop child support and the collection process. Thank You

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have filed papers to stop child support for my husband becasue he has custody of the child now and his ex is ordered to pay child support in the state of Missouri. Iowa does not recognize the custody or child support order from Missouri. The ex has agreed to sign papers that says she agrees to child support being stopped. I have found the settlement form but want to make sure this will work to stop child support and the collection process. Thank You
This is something your husband needs to do, unless you are an attorney licensed in the state with jurisdiction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As an attorney, you should know this stuff (or, at least, how to find out.)

If you are not an attorney, then you have just admitted to a crime. You are not permitted to do the things that you are doing. Let your husband handle his own matters.

sprice2014

If you are not an attorney, then you have just admitted to a crime. You are not permitted to do the things that you are doing. Let your husband handle his own matters.
No I am not a lawyer and how is it a crime if he knows about it. He has tried to take care of it himself but keeps getting the run around. Thanks for nothing.

sprice2014

Rude comments

I thought this was a site for legal advise not people talking down to you. I do not need your negative comments if you can not answer my question then please do not comment. Thank You

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

No I am not a lawyer and how is it a crime if he knows about it. He has tried to take care of it himself but keeps getting the run around. Thanks for nothing.
You are practicing law w/o a license. That's illegal. You are also not a party to the case, so you can not represent. If hubs can't do it? He needs to pay a lawyer. Why did he not file to stop support when he got custody? he DID get custody through the court, right?

sprice2014

You are practicing law w/o a license. That's illegal. You are also not a party to the case, so you can not represent. If hubs can't do it? He needs to pay a lawyer. Why did he not file to stop support when he got custody? he DID get custody through the court, right?
It's called represented yourself. If my husband knows about it yes I can because he has seen all the paperwork that I have filed. Yes he has order in place in the state of Missouri but Iowa will not recognized it even though Missouri stopped taking out of his check when he received custody of child. All I want to know is what papers they need to sign to get it stopped both of them agree and neither party has the money to hire a lawyer.

Silverplum

It's called represented yourself. If my husband knows about it yes I can because he has seen all the paperwork that I have filed. Yes he has order in place in the state of Missouri but Iowa will not recognized it even though Missouri stopped taking out of his check when he received custody of child. All I want to know is what papers they need to sign to get it stopped both of them agree and neither party has the money to hire a lawyer.
It's called "unauthorized practice of law," and is illegal in 49 states. (AZ is lenient.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's called "unauthorized practice of law," and is illegal in 49 states. (AZ is lenient.)
Slight clarification: It's also known as unlawful practice of law. Wouldn't want the OP missing it when she does her research ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, you actually can NOT represent him. And if HE represented himself, it would be "representing yourself". You are not him, you are not a party to his case and cannot legally do so. I would suggest that he do what most of us here have done - educate himself on the law. It's possible. Really.

I'm sorry you do not like the advice you are getting FOR FREE here, but such is life. I don't usually help spouses, SOs, etc, for just this reason. Thank you for reminding me. Make it a great day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">