• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping Support Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dad in MA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
My daughter turned 18, she has graduated HS. I have paid CS through direct deposit from my work these past 18 years, not through DOR. My friends state they received notification from DOR when they're CS order was fulfilled and when they were done. What actions should I take to stop paying? My original orders say that I was to pay for the support of the minor child. There was a modification to increase when she was 17, but no further orders. It does not appear she will be going to college this year.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
My daughter turned 18, she has graduated HS. I have paid CS through direct deposit from my work these past 18 years, not through DOR. My friends state they received notification from DOR when they're CS order was fulfilled and when they were done. What actions should I take to stop paying? My original orders say that I was to pay for the support of the minor child. There was a modification to increase when she was 17, but no further orders. It does not appear she will be going to college this year.
What did DOR say when you asked them this question?

Dad in MA

What did DOR say when you asked them this question?
I have never paid through DOR. I have paid the court ordered amount regularly, since ordered. I have it deducted from my pay check and deposited into her mothers account- it is set up through my employee benefits at work. I have not asked DOR because I have never done business with them.

mistoffolees

I have never paid through DOR. I have paid the court ordered amount regularly, since ordered. I have it deducted from my pay check and deposited into her mothers account- it is set up through my employee benefits at work. I have not asked DOR because I have never done business with them.
Give us the exact wording of the support section of your decree.

Depending on the wording, you may be able to simply stop having it withheld at work or you may need to file a motion with the court to have it stopped.

Dad in MA

Give us the exact wording of the support section of your decree.

Depending on the wording, you may be able to simply stop having it withheld at work or you may need to file a motion with the court to have it stopped.
"Commencing on Friday, (date) and every Friday thereafter, the Father shall pay to the Mother (the amount, $) each week for the support of the minor child.

The Father shall maintain his existing medical insurance for the benefit of the child as long as she qualifies.

The Father and Mother shall share equally all reasonable uninsured medical, dental, hospital and prescription drug, optical and orthodontic expences incurred on behalf of the minor child.

The parties are ordered to attend an approved adult parenting program.

The Father shall be entitled to claim the minor child as an exemption for state and federal income tax purposes."

That's it.

When she turned 13 I increased the amount voluntarily. Last August she took me back for modification to further increase, which she got, and I have paid. She also asked for visiting prospective college traveling expenses, which she did not get. There is no order to pay for college.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">