• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Check not handled properly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerlisann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
South Carolina
I am 17 and was adopted at age 8. I was kicked out a few months ago and has graduated. My 18th bday is in a few weeks. My parents were receiving a student check for me and they did not handle it properly. I am now ready to go to college and cannot afford it. I called the SS office and they told me I could dispute it. Will I get the money that they played with or what?

OHRoadwarrior

So you are saying they did not provide you with food, clothing, shelter etc... over the years? Who did then? That is what the money was for. It was not so you would have a wad of cash to spend as you chose, when you turned 18.

mistoffolees

I called the SS office and they told me I could dispute it. Will I get the money that they played with or what?
Somehow, I doubt that the SS office said that you could dispute it - unless there's a LOT that you're not telling us.

As OH said, as long as you had shelter, food, clothing, and medical care, the money was spent properly. I can guarantee that the cost of raising you was considerably greater than any amount they got from SS.

You're nearly an adult (at least, legally). Time to start growing up. The world doesn't owe you a thing - and you should be grateful for people who took you in and raised you.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
South Carolina
I am 17 and was adopted at age 8. I was kicked out a few months ago and has graduated. My 18th bday is in a few weeks. My parents were receiving a student check for me and they did not handle it properly. I am now ready to go to college and cannot afford it. I called the SS office and they told me I could dispute it. Will I get the money that they played with or what?
I's don't think yous readee for colege. Since you "has graduated" and you has not bin able to rite good, I'm knot shure your readee.:p

mistoffolees

You're no fun:p
Maybe not, but at least I make jokes about getting wives married off to reduce alimony...... :roll eyes:

In any event, it's a 17 year old kid. He doesn't really need the grief over what may have been just a simple typo or is, at worst, one grammatical error. We really don't need to be that nasty here.

Antigone*

Maybe not, but at least I make jokes about getting wives married off to reduce alimony...... :roll eyes:

In any event, it's a 17 year old kid. He doesn't really need the grief over what may have been just a simple typo or is, at worst, one grammatical error. We really don't need to be that nasty here.
I'm sorry Misto:eek: I didn't mean to be nasty.;) Guess I was just feeling a little feisty.

Tigi apologizes to the OP and will go to her corner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">