• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sudden child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gina84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband just got a sudden child support notice.
He got involved with this woman 11 years ago, onetime thing. He later found out that she was pregnant and she said that she didn’t want him around she already had a relationship and didn’t want problems. My husband did not wanted anything with then and just left them go their way, just like she wanted.

We have been married for 8 years. My husband never looked for her or the kid. And now he just received the notice for child support and need to respond within 30 days.

What will happen next?
He just got his residence in May 2011. He was leaving in Mexico since 2007. And just started working.
We have our own family; he is the only one working at the moment because am pregnant.
Will the state go after my income, or will my income be added to calculate how much will be taken out for childsupport?
I appreciate your comments and advice…

Proserpina

He got involved with this woman 11 years ago, onetime thing. He later found out that she was pregnant and she said that she didn’t want him around she already had a relationship and didn’t want problems. My husband did not wanted anything with then and just left them go their way, just like she wanted.

We have been married for 8 years. My husband never looked for her or the kid. And now he just received the notice for child support and need to respond within 30 days.

What will happen next?
He just got his residence in May 2011. He was leaving in Mexico since 2007. And just started working.
We have our own family; he is the only one working at the moment because am pregnant.
Will the state go after my income, or will my income be added to calculate how much will be taken out for childsupport?

...you're not working.

So what other income do you have? :confused:

Not that it really matters; generally no, only Dad's income matters for child support. Make SURE he demands a DNA paternity test.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

What will happen next?
Your income (when you are working) will not be considered for supporting his child with another woman.

I feel for the poor child. S/he apparently has two rather lousy parents. :(

mistoffolees

Not that it really matters; generally no, only Dad's income matters for child support. Make SURE he demands a DNA paternity test.
1. He must respond to anything he's asked to respond to. If he doesn't understand it, consult with an attorney. If he simply fails to respond, they WILL come after him - and chances are that the result will be worse than if he simply responds.

2. As part of the response, he can (and should) demand a paternity test. He should object to the process moving forward without a paternity test.

3. He will provide his income information and they will calculate child support. He can estimate how much he'll be paying here:
Calculate Child Support

4. As you were told, your income won't be used in the calculations. However, if he ends up paying significant child support (which he might - especially if Mom has been on welfare), it's going to take a big chunk out of family income so you may have to go back to work to make ends meet.

I really wish that people would learn to take responsibility for the kids they create - and stop having more if they can't afford them. I know that's apparently a lot to ask, but still...

Mash123

1. He must demand a DNA test. You said that she had another guy, so maybe he isn't the father.
2. He must answer the summons and complaint in 30 days, no matter what.
3. Tell him to contact the child support agency, they can help him with the process and explain what is going on. The best is online, so all the answers documented. In my county they were polite, professional and the most important - fair.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">