• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing father for back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GregW17

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am a 17 year old son of a father who missed his first 10 years of child support and owes $32,000 in back child support. My mom has told me I may sue for this money when I turn 18 but I wish to know how much of it. I would also like to know what is the best way to sue for it. My father has just got out of declaring bankruptcy and he doesn't own the house he lives at but has a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and a Pontiac Grand Am. These are the only two things he actually owns at the moment and doesn't have his financial priorities worked out. Will his vehicles be taken from him and the money be given to me or will these be given to me when I go to sue? Any additional information that would be useful would be much appreciated. I am seeking this money partly for schooling needs when I go to college and I also wish to use some to start a business when I get out of college. So is there a way for it to just go into my bank account and not for a school purpose use only?

ceara19

I am a 17 year old son of a father who missed his first 10 years of child support and owes $32,000 in back child support. My mom has told me I may sue for this money when I turn 18 but I wish to know how much of it. I would also like to know what is the best way to sue for it. My father has just got out of declaring bankruptcy and he doesn't own the house he lives at but has a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and a Pontiac Grand Am. These are the only two things he actually owns at the moment and doesn't have his financial priorities worked out. Will his vehicles be taken from him and the money be given to me or will these be given to me when I go to sue? Any additional information that would be useful would be much appreciated. I am seeking this money partly for schooling needs when I go to college and I also wish to use some to start a business when I get out of college. So is there a way for it to just go into my bank account and not for a school purpose use only?
That's not the way it works. There are very FEW circumstances in which children can go after a parent for unpaid child support. You really need to speak to a local attorney about the matter.

CJane

I am a 17 year old son of a father who missed his first 10 years of child support and owes $32,000 in back child support.
He 'missed 10 years'? Is there an order that he didn't pay on for 10 years, or was there no order?

How do YOU know what the arrearage is?

Why is your mom involving you? It's HER job to try and collect the arrears.

It's HIGHLY unlikely you'd be successful in your efforts. Your energy would be better spent focusing on working and going to school.

nextwife

And he's paying now? Has it occurred to you that, even if you COULD, removing his transportation would impact his ability to continue paying mom the CS he's paying to her now?

Or to continue paying mom the arrearage he owes HER?

Gracie3787

Since the money is owed to your mother and she is the only one who can collect it, the best solution is for your mom to enforce the arrears and then she can give you the money. But, you cannot do anything other than ask your Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">