• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support at 19 & college expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyby004

What is the name of your state? Mo.

My daughter is 19 and in college. Her first semester grades were very poor but she has re-enrolled in the same school as first semester and is trying very hard to improve her grades. She had a hard time adjusting to college. My ex says he does not have to continue paying support because of her bad grades and wants to proceed with emacipation. Can he do this?

Also, I receive disability and have a very limited income. My divorce decree from 1982 states that my ex is to pay 58% of her college expenses. The decree does not give any specifics. I had to take out a student loan to pay her expenses for her 1st semester. My ex is now saying that he is only responsible for out of pocket expenses and not for any financial aid given or student loans. The loan I took out has to be paid back with interest. My daughter did not receive any "free money" such as grants or scholarships. Is he right or wrong?

djohnson

He is to pay 58% of her college expenses. If that's what the order says, that is what it means. If her grades were that poor I don't blame him though. Chances are it's just wasted money and she will be put on probation and kicked out anyway. Why doesn't she get a job and help out with the expenses like a majority of children have to do. If she's working for it sure makes those bad grades feel a lot worse when it's your wasted money and not daddy's.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also - he's responsible for the school expenses - not interest on a loan that you've taken out. That's on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">