• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnobida0722

i have a severely disabled 19 yr old daughter. when she was 18 her father & i went to court. at that time the judge granted child support as well as covering her under his health insurance. since these services normally stop at age of 19 i asked the judge if amanda can continue receiving the insurance & support since she will be in high school until the age of 22. at that time the judge told me YES, just come back into my court room when she turns 19 & i will grant that to you. when amanda turned 19 i returned to the court house to pick up the forms & at that time was told i need an attorney. i called a free legal advice & was told they would not take my case since she did not feel i would win.
we have also recently moved to sacramento & since amanda is only MEDI-CAL now, we are having a hard time finding docs that take medi-cal patients only. amanda is a type 1 diabetic & very fragile, with kidney problems & other health issues AND was recently diagnosed with seizures. she deserves the BEST care but is hard to find only having medi-cal. shouldnt her father at least cover her under her health insurance as long as she is in school??

my question now is this. can i represent myself & should i? how do i go about this???

thank you
REGINA in sacramento, ca

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Whether you SHOULD is up to you - it's a matter of how much you might receive vs. the amount of energy you put into it.

I would at least talk with another attorney. Many attorneys will give you a free consultation.

Do you have a copy of the original transcript where the judge said it could be extended to age 22? If not, you might need to see if it's still available.

In any event, try this site for info on doing it without an attorney:
California Courts: Self-Help Center: Families & Children: Divorce, Legal Separation & Annulment: Divorce, Legal Separation & Annulment Links

rnobida0722

that is the bad part...i do have the to court order & although the judge told me to come back when she turns 19, it is NOT stated in the order. what about getting the minutes from the hearing? is that something i can be able to get?
i will check out the site.
thank you

mistoffolees

that is the bad part...i do have the to court order & although the judge told me to come back when she turns 19, it is NOT stated in the order. what about getting the minutes from the hearing? is that something i can be able to get?
That's right. The court transcript is different than the court order. The transcript will have everything that was discussed. The court order is only what the court is actually ordering at that time.

Call your court clerk or check your court's web site to see if there's a way to get a transcript. However, there may not be one - in which case the problem is much tougher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">