• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support After 27 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hollywooder

What is the name of your state? California

All parties in this situation were born and lived all their lives in California.
27 years ago, My wife of 3 years back then and myself had a child. When our child was 1 1/2 years old we divorced. The child was left with the mother and the mother"s parents ( child's grandparents ) and I was told by them that no child support was wanted, only if I was NOT to come around. Mother and child moved residence and I was unable to find them. Now, 27 years later, my daughter contacted me and during our conversation she touched on child support. My question is this: If no child support was ever asked for and I was never contacted by any agency and no court paper work was never filed for any, can anyone ask for it now?
Thank You in advancedWhat is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

Your daughter can't get back child support.
If there were never any child support orders as a part of your divorce, the statute of limitaitons would have expired, however if there were orders but you were promised that if you stayed away you would not have to pay you may still owe, or if they got orders in another state.

Hollywooder

Thanks for your response but no, there were never any orders filed for child support. Why another state? Everyone has ALWAYS been a California resident.

N

nicetryadmin

Hollywooder said:
Thanks for your response but no, there were never any orders filed for child support. Why another state? Everyone has ALWAYS been a California resident.
The statute of limitations has long expired.

Hollywooder

Thank You Very Much. I AM going to assist her in ANY way that I can with whatever might be needed. I am very happy to be back in contact with her. I just wanted to know exactly where I stood in this matter. I would have stepped up if there was no statute of limitations, again, I just needed to know my rights and were we all, Dad, Mom and Child, stand.
Thank You Again,
Hollywooder

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">