• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support after adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candice7877

What is the name of your state? Maryland I payed support for my son, then he was adopted.I have no legal rights of bindings to the child yet the didn't close the case til months after my rights were terminated and months after the adoption was finalized. However child support sent a letter to my employer and now he is on my health insurance. I have made numerous attempts to contact child support about this matter. They said they would fix the problem and that I would not be reimbursed my money.Child support has done nothing to fix the problem and i would like my money to be returned to me.I think I may have a case against them but I am not sure . What rights do I have now ?

S

seniorjudge

candice7877 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland I payed support for my son, then he was adopted.I have no legal rights of bindings to the child yet the didn't close the case til months after my rights were terminated and months after the adoption was finalized. However child support sent a letter to my employer and now he is on my health insurance. I have made numerous attempts to contact child support about this matter. They said they would fix the problem and that I would not be reimbursed my money.Child support has done nothing to fix the problem and i would like my money to be returned to me.I think I may have a case against them but I am not sure . What rights do I have now ?
Were you behind in the support when the child was adopted?

Have you shown these folks the judgment of adoption?

candice7877

Childsupport after adoption

Yes they have the letter stating the child was adopted. They just failed to close the case when my rights were terminated and the adoption was final. So they kept charging me child support. i am paying off what I owe but shouldn't they have closed the case when either my rights were terminated oe when the adoption was final ? And why put him on my health insurance ?

LdiJ

candice7877 said:
Yes they have the letter stating the child was adopted. They just failed to close the case when my rights were terminated and the adoption was final. So they kept charging me child support. i am paying off what I owe but shouldn't they have closed the case when either my rights were terminated oe when the adoption was final ? And why put him on my health insurance ?
I have to admit that the insurance portion of this situation doesn't make any sense at all....the rest of it sometimes happens, but I can't imagine how or why they could justify requiring your employer to include the child on the insurance.

I think that you probably need to get an attorney. There appears to be some major bureaucratic "mess ups" going on here.

nextwife

It makes no sense to me, either. I'm an adoptive parent, and I needed to be fully financially responsible for my child from the moment the adoption was final. I can't imagine any adoptive parent expecting to adopt but THEN have the bioparent be responsible for anything going forward, much less health insurance. Isn't that what we parents are supposed to do? She's not even the child's parent anymore.

I agree - get an attorney. Carrying health insurance cost for another parent's child is ridiculous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">