• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support for caretaker of 18 year old that left home voluntarily

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andysm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My 18 year old daughter and I had a disagreement and she decided to leave and live with her grandparents in WVa, (500 miles away). My wife and I asked repeatedly for her to stay, and asked her grandparents not enable her.
Not only has she left because "she is 18 and she can do what she wants" but she and her grandparents have went to DHHR and filed for caretaker support.
Can someone really decide to leave home because they are considered an "adult" without their parents consent and also force both parents to pay support?

single317dad

A few questions to clarify some things:

- Is your daughter still enrolled and attending high school?

- In what state did the grandparents file?

- You and your wife are the child's parents (neither is a stepparent)?

- How long ago did she leave the state?

I think the grandparents are out of their gourds, but you may receive different answers depending on the complete circumstances.

andysm

A few questions to clarify some things:

- Is your daughter still enrolled and attending high school?

- In what state did the grandparents file?

- You and your wife are the child's parents (neither is a stepparent)?

- How long ago did she leave the state?

I think the grandparents are out of their gourds, but you may receive different answers depending on the complete circumstances.
She was still in school and has enrolled in WVa.

They filed with WVa

My wife and I are her biological parents.

She left about 3 weeks ago

Last edited:

BL

I would say to hire a Family Law Attorney in WVA. to have the petition dismissed based on the child's voluntary emancipation , and not under the control of the parents. The court will consider the totality of the circumstances.

http://www.deltabravo.net/cms/plugins/content/content.php?content.190

LdiJ

I would say to hire a Family Law Attorney in WVA. to have the petition dismissed based on the child's voluntary emancipation , and not under the control of the parents. The court will consider the totality of the circumstances.

http://www.deltabravo.net/cms/plugins/content/content.php?content.190
I agree...that is the best way to handle it. If the grandparents want to enable the adult child to leave home, they should deal with the consequences of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">