• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support direct to children after 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel85

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My current child support agreement states I will pay support to my daughter after 18 thru 25 as long as she is a full time student and not married . Am I obligated to pay her during the Summer if she is not enrolled in college during Summer?What is the name of your state?

justalayman

gel85 said:

My current child support agreement states I will pay support to my daughter after 18 thru 25 as long as she is a full time student and not married . Am I obligated to pay her during the Summer if she is not enrolled in college during Summer?What is the name of your state?
The most basic question is:

what does your court order say concerning this?

BL

I would say , YES .

Where will she be residing during the summer ? Not that it would matter .

gel85 said:

Does she stop eating during the summer?

gel85

my order says nothing regarding this

why all the smart xxx remarks. My daughter is 21 and is working full time during summers and I feel I shouldn't have to pay her

justalayman

gel85 said:
why all the smart xxx remarks. My daughter is 21 and is working full time during summers and I feel I shouldn't have to pay her
What they were inferring (or at least most of them) is; why would support stop merely because of the season? Think of it this way, especially because of your last post, if your daughter was 17 and worked full time, would you still be responsible for CS? Of course you would is the correct answer. Unless you CS order specifies something other than what you have already posted, there is no reason to consider this age any different.

ceara19

gel85 said:
Then you would need to try and get the court order modified.

gel85

what the court order says

It says I will provide support as long as she is a full time student. What i am referring to is College not high school. in order to be full time you need to carry 12 hrs fall & spring & 6 hrs in the summer. She is finished high school. So do I interpret full time all year or not. The CS order is not specific.

BelizeBreeze

gel85 said:
It says I will provide support as long as she is a full time student. What i am referring to is College not high school. in order to be full time you need to carry 12 hrs fall & spring & 6 hrs in the summer. She is finished high school. So do I interpret full time all year or not. The CS order is not specific.
what EXACTLY does the court order say, word for word. NOT your interpretation of the words.

justalayman

gel85 said:
I know you speak of college.
Summer is not a typical part of the school year. She will still be listed as a student at her college though.

If you want to challenge it, quit paying her during the summer and let her take you to court. or if you fear a contempt of court charge, heed ceara19's advice and go to court and request modification.

My question to you is; is this kid that bad that you do not want to help her. She still has living expenses and surely is saving some money for the fall. I doubt your CS pays for all her expenses let alone her tuition and books.

gel85

here is what it says

It is further ordered, adjudged and decreed that Mr. XXXXXX shall pay child support in the sum of XXXXX, commencing xXXXXX. Mr. XXXXXX will continue to pay child support even after the minor children attain the age of majority and up until they reach the age of 25 unless after their 19th birthday they are not full time students or they marry.

ceara19

gel85 said:
It is further ordered, adjudged and decreed that Mr. XXXXXX shall pay child support in the sum of XXXXX, commencing xXXXXX. Mr. XXXXXX will continue to pay child support even after the minor children attain the age of majority and up until they reach the age of 25 unless after their 19th birthday they are not full time students or they marry.
Unless she has graduated from college or dropped out she's still considered a full time student during the summer months as long as during the school year she is taking the required number of hours to be considered full time. Has she given any indication that she does not intend on continuing her education?

You're a real piece of work buddy...

From your other post...
"What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a question regarding my obligation. I am providing support to my children after they turned 18 as long as they were full time students & under 25.(I pay each child directly) Here is the unique situation. My daughter was registered to go to classes in August (fall Semester) Huricane Katrina hit and the college cancelled classes on Sept. 10th. She reregistered in October to take online classes. I paid her for August and per a verbal agrement I paid her a lesser amount while she was taking online classes. She is threatening to go to a attorney to make me pay her for September.

Am I obligated to pay her for the month of September when the college closed????"

So, a natural disaster caused your child to not be able to attend her classes, so you want to use that to not pay her support?

I'm sorry, but you're her father. If you didn't want to support your children through college, then you shouldn't have agreed to it in your divorce decree. Is the few hundred bucks your going to save not paying her for a month going to be worth the damage you are going to do to your relationship with her?

Pay the damn money...just my humble, uninformed, unlegal opinion. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">