• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support If Child Lives With Me During School Year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajm

My Support Obligation If Child Lives With Me During School Year

I pay child support in Texas. My 13 year old son will possibly be attending school and living with me during the upcoming school year in Arizona. Am I obligated to pay child support while he is living with me? Is it possible for me to file a modification form with the court for the time he will be living with me that would eliminate child support payments for him during that time? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

CJane

It's possible. It would be best, if at the same time, you filed to modify custody and address the move and change in visitation.

LdiJ

It's possible. It would be best, if at the same time, you filed to modify custody and address the move and change in visitation.
Its also possible however, if he/she does that (tries to modify the custody) the current cp may change his/her mind about agreeing to the move....particularly if the intent is for it to be for one year only.

ajm

So if I'm not able to get custody at this time and he lives with me for the school year, am I still obligated to pay child support while he is living with me?

Suggestion

My 13 year old son will possibly be attending school and living with me during the upcoming school year in Arizona.
If there is any question as to whether the CP will change their mind of what's in the childs best interest, you may want to wait until Jr. has been in school in AZ for a couple of months before filing with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">