• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Obligation..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kharris7624

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am currently in a bad situation with my child's mother, and long story short she recently asked me to forfeit my rights to the child and let her fiancee adopt her since she won't compromise with visitation for me and I do not have the finances to fight it in court as child support is expensive as it is. My question (to see if she's lying) is that if I forfeit my rights to the child will I still have to pay child support until she's 18? and if not, will retro support be waived as well? She claims yes, but I'm not so sure about it. Not that the money is important to me but if this is the only option I face I'm definitely not willing to forfeit what little rights I do have AND still have to pay her an absurd amount every month. Any help or insight is much appreciated as I can't seek legal council at the moment..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Poor kid :mad:

Once you've managed to toss this kid aside, you won't be responsible for ongoing child support.

You will be responsible for past child support. However, if she was never on any sort of government assistance, then she has the ability to waive the past amounts.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am currently in a bad situation with my child's mother, and long story short she recently asked me to forfeit my rights to the child and let her fiancee adopt her since she won't compromise with visitation for me and I do not have the finances to fight it in court as child support is expensive as it is. My question (to see if she's lying) is that if I forfeit my rights to the child will I still have to pay child support until she's 18? and if not, will retro support be waived as well? She claims yes, but I'm not so sure about it. Not that the money is important to me but if this is the only option I face I'm definitely not willing to forfeit what little rights I do have AND still have to pay her an absurd amount every month. Any help or insight is much appreciated as I can't seek legal council at the moment..

It's moot - her fiance won't be adopting the child.

IF they get married - and can show that they're stable - then the husband can adopt.

Adopting will sever all of your rights and responsibilities including child support.
(Although it won't wipe out any arrears)

kharris7624

Once you've managed to toss this kid aside, you won't be responsible for ongoing child support.

You will be responsible for past child support. However, if she was never on any sort of government assistance, then she has the ability to waive the past amounts.

thanks for the input... and I do agree poor child because I've tried in every way to be a part of her life but I live three hours away (had to relocate to a new job to pay support) and the mother won't help me with travel at all... and she's doing everything to make sure I can never be involved leaving me with the choice to forfeit my rights so she can start the "perfect" family, with my daughter to boot..

Proserpina

thanks for the input... and I do agree poor child because I've tried in every way to be a part of her life but I live three hours away (had to relocate to a new job to pay support) and the mother won't help me with travel at all... and she's doing everything to make sure I can never be involved leaving me with the choice to forfeit my rights so she can start the "perfect" family, with my daughter to boot..

You can fight for your visitation, Dad.

You don't have to allow her to control the situation like that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You created this distance, no matter the reason. Why should Mom help with transportation? :cool:

kharris7624

I agree. Generally, if someone wants visitation badly enough, they can get it. It just means going through the formal, legal process.
the formal legal process which who is going to pay for? I'm not here for pity or criticism I just wanted advice, which I guess isn't "free" as the site suggests because from what I've read all the "advice" comes with an opinion-driven judgement of those who aren't involved in the situation. Thanks for everybody's time though.

Proserpina

the formal legal process which who is going to pay for?

You. Your child/rights/obligation = your costs.

I'm not here for pity or criticism I just wanted advice, which I guess isn't "free" as the site suggests because from what I've read all the "advice" comes with an opinion-driven judgement of those who aren't involved in the situation. Thanks for everybody's time though.

Look, this really isn't difficult.

Do you WANT to see your child? Then you'll find a way to see your child.

If you don't? Fine, let Mom marry her fiance and you can all go ahead with a stepparent adoption.

You're welcome.

the formal legal process which who is going to pay for? I'm not here for pity or criticism I just wanted advice, which I guess isn't "free" as the site suggests because from what I've read all the "advice" comes with an opinion-driven judgement of those who aren't involved in the situation. Thanks for everybody's time though.
If you don't have the finances for an attorney, you get educated in the law well enough to be able to represent yourself. That means reading, researching, etc. in any and every way you can. Like many of us did.

mistoffolees

What more advice do you need?

The legal process is fairly straightforward. You file in court for a visitation plan if you don't have one.

Then, once you have a visitation plan, you exercise your court ordered visitation.

If ex denies you visitation, you drag them into court for contempt.

It's really not hard. You simply need to learn the rules and follow them. Ideally, you would have an attorney (which is YOUR expense - why should I pay for your attorney?), but if you can't or won't, you can learn to handle it yourself. Start with your state's self-help center or do some research online for the procedures.

That is, if you care enough to make the effort.

CSO286

If you don't have the finances for an attorney, you get educated in the law well enough to be able to represent yourself. That means reading, researching, etc. in any and every way you can.
Like many of us did.
Show of hands?

Seriously, I did it. And paid less than $200.00 to do so.

Last edited:

CJane

BUT, if he doesn't WANT to see the child badly enough to go through the effort? A step-parent adoption, once Mom is married, is probably in the child's best interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">