• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Order Contempt by Cust. Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCPhelp

What is the name of your state? NY

I am sorry if I have already asked this question, but here goes, please bear with me. ;)

My stepson will be 20 years old this coming August. As far as we know he is working, but we aren't sure even if it is full time. But that is not my question.

Under my husbands current support order it reads. "custodial parent is to provide health insurance for child, and it is further ordered that NCP is to reimburse CP in the following manner for medical reimbursement."

My husband and I do not believe he has any health insurance currently. We looked into it, and found out because he is no longer in school that the mother cannot carry him under her health plan anymore. Our question is this, if she forwards a medical bill to us that he incurrs for the total amount and it is apparent no insurance picked up any of the cost, are we still obligated to pay the 50% of the unisured medical bill, (which is his portion that is stated in his support order)? Wouldn't she be in contempt of the court order because she is not providing health insurance for the child?

We are a little nervous, he have not heard one word from her since last June when he graduated from high school, and right before he graduated she took him to the dentists and got him new glasses, and we were guessing this was because she thought possibly this was the end. We did not get the support stopped for our lawyer said you have to prove that he is supporting himself and we don't feel he is doing that, and the court costs alone to go before a judge would have been more than just paying the support. We only have 14 months to go, but we want to be prepared if we get slammed with an outrageous medical bill and what we should do with it.

Thanks,What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">