• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babygirl1652

What is the name of your state? Missouri
Here's the deal...I have two children. The father of the children lives in Illinois. The custody and support case was filed in MO. Father has expressed interest in signing off rights. If he does, is he still obligated to pay support on the two children, or does that go away also? Does he have to file in Illinois or Missouri?

He cannot just sign away his rights if he feels like it. There has to be someone to adopt the child (perhaps a stepparent.) When parental rights are terminated, then he is no longer financially responsible for the child.

babygirl1652

contrary to what you believe, he CAN just sign off his rights..without mother's consent. Also, under Illinois law, if a parent signs off all paternal rights, he/she is still obligated to pay support for the child until another steps up and adopts.

genivieve

My bf went through a similiar case. It is not legal in NY to sign off unless the child is adopted, but my bf got to anyways. The mother realized that she was caught in several lies. She had her daughter steal my credit cards during visitation and then use them, and then had her daughter pour Draino in my son's drink twice to try to kill him.The mother figured it would be in the best interest to allow my bf to sign off including support. If both parents are in agreement this can be done. It all depends on what you want.

Last edited:

babygirl1652

that's terrible what happened to you. I'm glad things worked out for the best. I appreciate your advice and I thank you for trying to help me. I was just wondering about a few things with this whole issue. I've decided that I'm going to go talk to a lawyer and see what is said. I was just simply responding to stepmom&mom that I know in the state of Illinois(which he resides), it can legally be done. I don't know about the state of Missouri or which state he would have to file in, but a lawyer can tell me that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">