• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pondering

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I was ordered to pay X amount for CS and X amount for daycare. What happens if the CP has been taking court ordered daycare funds from me but my child has not been in a daycare for many years? Will they stop the daycare from the point when I requested that the daycare be checked out (if there was none) or will the CP have to refund the money to me? Also if I have this checked out and there was no daycare is there a chance of the money being added into the CS instead of lowered?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I was ordered to pay X amount for CS and X amount for daycare. What happens if the CP has been taking court ordered daycare funds from me but my child has not been in a daycare for many years? Will they stop the daycare from the point when I requested that the daycare be checked out (if there was none) or will the CP have to refund the money to me? Also if I have this checked out and there was no daycare is there a chance of the money being added into the CS instead of lowered?
Tell us exactly what the court order says. Word for word but without the names.

ecmst12

Why didn't you go back to court for a modification as soon as you found out the child wasn't in daycare anymore instead of waiting "many years" to do something about it?

pondering

Mistoffolees: I do not have access to the court order at this second, I am in the middle of moving and it is in storage so I will try to find it.

Ecmst12: I was not aware of the fact my son was not in daycare. The mother moved to the other side of the state and I have been fighting to have him come to my home, but it is far and few between because he does not want to leave his friends ‘for that long’ (he is 11). I am in the process of trying to get a joint meeting but up to this point they have not been helpful in the matter. When I do have him I never thought to ask if he was in daycare, I just assumed he was since I have been paying it but it has come to my attention he has not been in many years.

TinkerBellLuvr: It has been many years. I have never asked for one personally but the mother does whenever it is allowed but when I send my paperwork in she does not send hers and I get a letter that says the review was canceled due to lack of her information.

I feel like because she is not where I can see her and my son a lot she is taking advantage of the situation.

mistoffolees

Mistoffolees: I do not have access to the court order at this second, I am in the middle of moving and it is in storage so I will try to find it.
Ultimately, like most legal matters, it comes down to what the court order says. It may be impossible for anyone to help without knowing the wording.

Most likely scenario, though, is that you're not going to get a retroactive modification to the order. You MIGHT be able to get the order modified moving forward, although plug the numbers into the calculator for your state to see if the end result of modification might be an increase:
Michigan Child Support Calculator

It is really hard to believe, though, that the child hasn't been in daycare for years and you didn't know about it. Even if the court would be willing to consider a retroactive modification in other circumstances, the fact that you weren't even involved enough in the child's life to know that the child wasn't in daycare might make it hard for a judge to side with you.

Now, if the order actually specifies that the money must be spent on daycare and Mom didn't do so, there would be a slight chance of getting the court to consider it an overpayment of CS and give you a credit against future charges. But until we know the wording, I can't say if that's the case or not.

gam

Does mom work? If so, what has she been doing with the child before or after school while she is working?

Daycare is also before and after school care, the child is 11, and you said the child has not been in daycare for years. Are you sure about that? You sure someone or someplace is not watching the child before or after school?
Mom can seek child care support up until Aug 31st of the year the child turns 12
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resources/publications/manuals/focb/2008MCSFmanual.pdf
The following is taken from the Michigan child support formula manual

3.06 Child Care Support Obligations
3.06(A) Based on each parent’s percentage share of family income, allocate the actual child care expenses for the children in the case under consideration which allow a parent or third party custodian to look for employment, retain employment, or to attend an educational program to improve employment opportunities.
(1) When custodians or parents have an established child care pattern and can verify that they have actual, predictable and reasonable child care expenses, use the actual costs in the calculation.
(2) When no established pattern of child care expenses exists, base the expenses on estimates of the community’s average child care costs or several written quotations from local child care providers.
(3) In calculating child care expenses, presume that the court's orders for specific parenting time and custody will be followed. However, if a child care provider requires payment to retain a slot for a child without regard to whether the child actually attends, include those additional cost
3.06(B) Figure the actual cost of child care by deducting any child care subsidies, credits (including federal tax credit), or similar public or private reimbursements from the gross cost of child care.
3.06(C) The support payer’s net portion of the actual child care expenses should be ordered paid as a monthly child care support obligation. The support recipient’s share of child care expenses is directly contributed by the support recipient as expenses occur. Allocate net child care costs according to the following steps.
(1) Determine each individual’s actual monthly child care.
(a) Calculate each individual's gross annual child care expenditures.
(b) Figure the actual cost by deducting any child care subsidies, credits (including tax credits), or reimbursements from the gross cost of child care and convert to a monthly amount.
(2) Allocate the actual monthly costs by multiplying by the other parent’s percentage share of family income. §3.01(B)(2).
(3) Offset the two prorated amounts by subtracting the other parent’s share of the support payer’s monthly costs from the payer’s share of the other parent’s monthly costs.
3.06(D) Presume that the need for child care continues until August 31st following the child’s 12th birthday. At the court’s discretion, the child care support obligation may continue beyond that date as a child’s health or safety needs require.
3.06(E) Since child care support obligations accrue based on the assumed continuation of the net expenses used to set the currently effective order, custodians and parents need to notify each other of changes in costs, and must notify the friend of the court when they stop incurring child care expenses for a child.
3.06(F) When parents or custodians do not have an established pattern of child care expenses, the court can order a reasonable amount for future child care expenses conditioned upon the support recipient providing to the other parent and the friend of the court (1) proof of the recipient’s employment or enrollment in a qualifying educational or training program, (2) proof of the recipient’s actual out-of-pocket child care expenses, (3) a written request to the friend of the court asking for implementation of the conditional child care provision, and (4) proof that the support payer was provided copies of items
(1)-(3).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">