• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surcharges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bur Osgood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My two children are 27 and 24, and over the years when I wasn't working the state charged me and ran me up a past due amount. Now when I work they garnishee my pay checks, usually 75 to 100 dollars a week, so three or four hundred dollars monthly for past due. The thing is, they are charging me six to seven hundred dollars per month for 'surcharges' and late fees, etc. The more I pay what they take the further in debt to them I get. This doesn't seem right to me, and I'd like to find out if anyone knows if there's anything I can do about it. Thanks

Mike Clemins

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My two children are 27 and 24, and over the years when I wasn't working the state charged me and ran me up a past due amount. Now when I work they garnishee my pay checks, usually 75 to 100 dollars a week, so three or four hundred dollars monthly for past due. The thing is, they are charging me six to seven hundred dollars per month for 'surcharges' and late fees, etc. The more I pay what they take the further in debt to them I get. This doesn't seem right to me, and I'd like to find out if anyone knows if there's anything I can do about it. Thanks

Mike Clemins
How much in arrears are you? Looks like you might have to start getting a second or third job.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Mike Clemins
What did they say when you made your appointment at the Friend of the Court Enforcement Office? Accounting can give you a breakdown of the charges.

And dude - the surcharge fee is like $50 for the YEAR. You probably have an GINORMOUS arreage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">