• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surcharges on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vt. I owe 22.00 back child support and over 800.00 in surcharges. Contempt hearing tomorrow. I paid 1500.00 in July to get payments down. I have no money right now. I also find it unfair when my ex was in arrearages over 6000.00 prior to this legislative surcharges he was not charged interest on his arrearages. I have court tomorrow for contempt. Can I fight these surcharges or at least have some way to get them dismissed? Thanks so much.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vt. I owe 22.00 back child support and over 800.00 in surcharges. Contempt hearing tomorrow. I paid 1500.00 in July to get payments down. I have no money right now. I also find it unfair when my ex was in arrearages over 6000.00 prior to this legislative surcharges he was not charged interest on his arrearages. I have court tomorrow for contempt. Can I fight these surcharges or at least have some way to get them dismissed? Thanks so much.
Your state legislated those surcharges, apparently since your X owed you, in order to make paying CS a nicer option than paying the surcharges plus the CS. It's not a matter of "fair," it's a matter of what incentive to pay was on the books and when.

I'm sure you can try to fight the surcharges, but don't know if you will win. Your state law says the surcharge SHALL BE attached, not the more hopeful and lenient "MAY BE." That's an order, not a suggestion in the law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/vermont/2011/title15/chapter11/section606

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">