• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surprise, you're my baby's daddy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1trueone

11 years ago I had a one night stand with a women. I have had no contact sense. Now she wants me to have a dna test.

1. Should I take the test?
2. If I am found to be the father , would I have to pay back child support.
3. I am recently disabled, and living on a very limited income of $1075.00 from SSID. How much of my income is subject to child support?

ecmst12

Has she filed in court asking for a DNA test? If so, yes you should comply with the court order. If no, you can safely ignore her.

Isis1

If you are court ordered to take a test, take the test. Do not accept paternity without a court ordered DNA test.

Is there a pending child support case right now? Or is this something the mother only told you about?

If the child is yours, then yes, child support can be ordered. It will only be retro active to the date of the petition filing. Not the date of birth.

If I remember correctly, if child support is ordered on a SSDI recipient, a separate SSDI check will be sent to the child while having no impact on your amount in place of child support.

Once paternity has been established, you should file for a introduction visitation plan to get to know your child.

CSO286

If you are court ordered to take a test, take the test. Do not accept paternity without a court ordered DNA test.

Is there a pending child support case right now? Or is this something the mother only told you about?

If the child is yours, then yes, child support can be ordered. It will only be retro active to the date of the petition filing. Not the date of birth.

If I remember correctly, if child support is ordered on a SSDI recipient, a separate SSDI check will be sent to the child while having no impact on your amount in place of child support.
Once paternity has been established, you should file for a introduction visitation plan to get to know your child.

FYI: This will not happen automatically. One of the parties will need to go to the SSA and verfiy that the child qualifies for dependent benefits based on Dad's disability. Then one of the parents will need to be named the representative payee for those benefits.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
FYI: This will not happen automatically. One of the parties will need to go to the SSA and verfiy that the child qualifies for dependent benefits based on Dad's disability. Then one of the parents will need to be named the representative payee for those benefits.
And they have to get the court to order that those benefits be considered CS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">