• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspend surcharges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCMM

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Suspend surcharges

State: Michigan

I have been unable to work due to ongoing poor health.

I will be filing a motion to suspend surcharges on my CS account to try and stop the surcharges.

All support is back arrearages. (all children grown)

Has anyone tried this ?

Is there any state or federal case law that will help me ?

Last edited:

NotSoNew

do you mean arrears? if you can prove you are medically unable to work then most likely they will suspend your child support for a certain period of time. be prepared to offer hard evidence of your health problems (drs reports, etc)

MCMM

do you mean arrears
yes

All support owed is back child support arrearages.(no current support is owed-all my kids are grown and off the books)

I know if no support is paid on outstanding balance the surcharges[interest] will add up fast

Hard evidence I do have. I do have the Doctors reports

Just trying to find case law that will help me in court.

I have looked high and low for case law to no-avail

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wait a minute.... So you didn't pay support when the kids were minors, and now that they're grown, you want to get out of paying what you owe the other parent? That's rich.

MCMM

Criticism & judgement from stealth2 about a case without knowing all the facts.

I will help you focus on the question at hand.

Do you know of any case law that pertains to surcharges regarding child support ?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Criticism & judgement from stealth2 about a case without knowing all the facts.

I will help you focus on the question at hand.

Do you know of any case law that pertains to surcharges regarding child support ?
I respond to the facts you post. And so far, you posted that you didn't support your kids when they were minors, and now you're too "disabled" to repay the other parent your share of their support. Sorry if I see you as a deadbeat.

MCMM

Courtclerk do you know of any case law that pertains to surcharges regarding child support ?

CourtClerk

Courtclerk do you know of any case law that pertains to surcharges regarding child support ?
I am not aware of anything that would allow you to retroactively suspend the surcharges, however you may be able to work out some kind of a payment plan because of your current circumstances. You do owe the money however.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your answer to the question at hand is Yes_ or No_ ?

Please check one
Another clue for you - you don't get to dictate how people respond.

Your kid's other parent made up for your neglect. You owe the money. So figure out how you're going to pay it.

MCMM

Courtclerk,

I am not trying to retroactively suspend or wipe clean the arrearages or the surcharges[interest]

I am trying to temporarily freeze the surcharges[interest] until my health improves.

Last year [2007] I paid $18,000.00 dollars on arrearages and if the surcharges keep going during this bad time in my life I will be right back where I started, owing the same amount as before.

I understood your question

MCMM, I fully understood your question and i'm sorry I could not be of any help. I had to go out on disability 2 years ago and there is nothing good about it. My pay was cut 60% and my health insurance tripled. I must say this forum is very interesting.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, delta, is it safe to say that you did not neglect the support of your children as a result? OR prior to becoming disabled? For OP to accrue in excess of $18k in support arrearages, s/he hasn't been paying for a long, long time. It's a bit hard to be sympathetic. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">