• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sustainable Farmer doesn't live a life where I can pay CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomesteadFarmer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Had my administrative hearing today and they determined my income is minimum wage (it's not) when I live on a sustainable and payed off farm and I don't need much of an income. There's no way I can pay the court ordered child support and continue on the farm full time and don't want to lose the farm to disrepair or my lifestyle.
I don't know what to do to lower my child support of $246/month when I don't live a lifestyle that needs money and I know of people with lower child support payments that have income.
I've read a lot of cases and stuff about the non-custodial parent paying more if he makes more so the children have a better standard of living so it equals out but what about paying less because my standard of living (in the governments eyes) is lower than the Mothers.
I'd be willing to send her fresh farm fresh eggs, cow and goat products, vegetables, etc... haha

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Had my administrative hearing today and they determined my income is minimum wage (it's not) when I live on a sustainable and payed off farm and I don't need much of an income. There's no way I can pay the court ordered child support and continue on the farm full time and don't want to lose the farm to disrepair or my lifestyle.
I don't know what to do to lower my child support of $246/month when I don't live a lifestyle that needs money and I know of people with lower child support payments that have income.
I've read a lot of cases and stuff about the non-custodial parent paying more if he makes more so the children have a better standard of living so it equals out but what about paying less because my standard of living (in the governments eyes) is lower than the Mothers.
Although I disagree with you, I was keeping an open mind...

Until this:
I'd be willing to send her fresh farm fresh eggs, cow and goat products, vegetables, etc... haha
You're a jerk - really. Your child is entitled to be supported (financially) by BOTH parents. It seems to me that you might need to dust yourself off and get a JOB.

:mad:

HomesteadFarmer

Although I disagree with you, I was keeping an open mind...

Until this:

You're a jerk - really. Your child is entitled to be supported (financially) by BOTH parents. It seems to me that you might need to dust yourself off and get a JOB.

:mad:
It was a joke, that's what the haha was portraying. But I live a life and have a full time+ job on farm that can and does support children, the mother just doesn't want that life and that's fine but I thought child support is supposed to go to supporting a child. And you should say the same to her because she lives in government assisted living apartments, gets food stamps, child cash support, and hasn't worked as long as I've known her (2 years).
My point is if I can far exceed the support of children here without the government standard of wages being met would it be a viable option to gain custody. I can support a child with what I have but not giving her $$ I don't have to blow on junk food, alcohol, and tattoos.

Zigner

It was a joke, that's what the haha was portraying. But I live a life and have a full time+ job on farm that can and does support children, the mother just doesn't want that life and that's fine but I thought child support is supposed to go to supporting a child. And you should say the same to her because she lives in government assisted living apartments, gets food stamps, child cash support, and hasn't worked as long as I've known her (2 years).
My point is if I can far exceed the support of children here without the government standard of wages being met would it be a viable option to gain custody. I can support a child with what I have but not giving her $$ I don't have to blow on junk food, alcohol, and tattoos.
If those things are so valuable, then I suggest that you sell those things in order to meet your court-ordered support obligation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You are a FATHER and a non-custodial parent. Supporting Your CHILD(REN) should be part of your lifestyle. Either you provide for their needs directly or indirectly (money). Have you been growing your own cotton, shearing sheep, spinning yarn and weaving cloth? Or did you buy your clothes and boots? I suspect the latter.

The time has come to open a farmstand.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You chose her. There must have been something you thought attractive about that package. So don't go dissing her.

Look, if you cared about your kids, you wouldn't be in this mess. It is time to grow up Peter Pan.

You could have tried providing for your children under your own roof, but you were content to have Mom go off with them - until you were expected to reimburse the state for the support she's been getting.

If it were just the subsistance lifestyle that you were into, and you really wanted the kids to be brought up with your ideals and values as their foundation, you would be in the custody section, not child support.

Silverplum

If you don't wanna change your "lifestyle," don't have children. After you do, kiss your "lifestyle" goodbye.

HomesteadFarmer

You chose her. There must have been something you thought attractive about that package. So don't go dissing her.

Look, if you cared about your kids, you wouldn't be in this mess. It is time to grow up Peter Pan.

You could have tried providing for your children under your own roof, but you were content to have Mom go off with them - until you were expected to reimburse the state for the support she's been getting.

If it were just the subsistance lifestyle that you were into, and you really wanted the kids to be brought up with your ideals and values as their foundation, you would be in the custody section, not child support.

Good idea, this is all new to me so yea I don't know what to do or where to go.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then sell the farm products to make your money to pay your child support. How do you pay utilities?

HomesteadFarmer

You are a FATHER and a non-custodial parent. Supporting Your CHILD(REN) should be part of your lifestyle. Either you provide for their needs directly or indirectly (money). Have you been growing your own cotton, shearing sheep, spinning yarn and weaving cloth? Or did you buy your clothes and boots? I suspect the latter.

The time has come to open a farmstand.
I can provide directly but is there a way to do that if I can't get custody? Is there a way to provide with materials, crafting, food, etc without doing it indirectly?

Zigner

I can provide directly but is there a way to do that if I can't get custody? Is there a way to provide with materials, crafting, food, etc without doing it indirectly?
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Your question was answered above...and, furthermore, since the STATE has been providing for her, the STATE wants to be repaid. I know of no state that will take "...fresh farm fresh eggs, cow and goat products, vegetables, etc... haha" as payment - they expect MONEY.

Proserpina

You're not getting custody to avoid child support. Does it occur to you that Mom might not have needed so much government aid if you'd been supporting your mutual child?

Let me remind you:

And you should say the same to her because she lives in government assisted living apartments, gets food stamps, child cash support, and hasn't worked as long as I've known her (2 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">