• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking off with unborn baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jetznh

What is the name of your state? MA
My son and his girlfriend were having a baby together. She grew up here in Ma but moved to Washington State.(they talked on the phone continuously for two years) She came back to MA to be with my son and planned on staying. When she got pregnant, she told my son she wanted to go out to Washington to see her parents because she missed them and wanted them to be a part of the pregnancy. It was only to be a visit. Once out there, she cancelled her phone service and noone could get ahold of her. Finally months later we did track her down but she refused to come back and she had the baby there.She actually gave him someone elses last name. Not my sons name and not hers. Does my son have any legal way to make her come back this way or has he completely lost already since the baby was born in Washington?

BelizeBreeze

Jetznh said:
What is the name of your state? MA
My son and his girlfriend were having a baby together. She grew up here in Ma but moved to Washington State.(they talked on the phone continuously for two years) She came back to MA to be with my son and planned on staying. When she got pregnant, she told my son she wanted to go out to Washington to see her parents because she missed them and wanted them to be a part of the pregnancy. It was only to be a visit. Once out there, she cancelled her phone service and noone could get ahold of her. Finally months later we did track her down but she refused to come back and she had the baby there.She actually gave him someone elses last name. Not my sons name and not hers. Does my son have any legal way to make her come back this way or has he completely lost already since the baby was born in Washington?
Nope, even if the child was born in your bathtub in Ma. since he is not the father. And even if he is found to be the father, he can't tell her where to live. Looks like he'll be either moving or travelling alot if he wants to see the child.

Jetznh said:
She actually gave him someone elses last name. Not my sons name and not hers.
Ummmm. I'm thinking that it's probably not his kid. Not only because of the name but because of her actions. If I were him I'd want to establish paternity and then go from there.

Jetznh

I have my doubts about it being his but she came out in September had the baby in June so timing is right. In any case, Im thinking we won't ever see our first grandchild and he'll end up paying support for a son he'll be lucky to see once a year on the salary he had left.

Jetznh said:
I have my doubts about it being his but she came out in September had the baby in June so timing is right.
How can you be so sure? Timing doesn't really mean squat (did you guys count back the full 40 weeks or 36?) The gal could have been sharing her lovin' all over the US within days of being w/ your son. Only the DNA test can tell you for sure.

Jetznh said:
In any case, Im thinking we won't ever see our first grandchild and he'll end up paying support for a son he'll be lucky to see once a year on the salary he had left.
First things first - he needs to find out whether or not he is the father. I'm not a legal person so others will be able to tell you where your son will need to file, etc. If he is found to be the father then he will likely be granted visitation at which time you could visit with the child as well (as long as your son allows it on his time).

BelizeBreeze said:
Nope, even if the child was born in your bathtub in Ma. since he is not the father. And even if he is found to be the father, he can't tell her where to live. Looks like he'll be either moving or travelling alot if he wants to see the child.
Ok, so even if he is the father and she's the one who "created the distance" by leaving there's nothing that the dad can do about it? Won't she at least have to meet him halfway for visitation? Seems pretty crappy that she can just up and move before the baby is born and establish residency is another state across the US and there's nothing dad (if he is the dad) can do about it.

BelizeBreeze

AmarieNorton said:
Ok, so even if he is the father and she's the one who "created the distance" by leaving there's nothing that the dad can do about it? Won't she at least have to meet him halfway for visitation? Seems pretty crappy that she can just up and move before the baby is born and establish residency is another state across the US and there's nothing dad (if he is the dad) can do about it.
She didn't create anything. The couple is not married and she has every right to live where she wants.

As for meeting him halfway, for what? He has no rights whatsoever. WHEN and IF he is found to be the father, then Washington is the home state and since there is currently no order, when one is issued from the court THEN and ONLY THEN will issues like creating distance and removing the child from the jurisdiction be relevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">