• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax free income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I can't find anything on this. When child support is calculated, can the fact that a parent's income is tax free be a part of the calculation? My ex is trying to get his child support lowered, he says his income has gone down. Which yes, it went down by 10%, but 3/4 of his income is tax free.

Child support is calculated using pre-tax income of the payer. If he has suffered an involuntary reduction in his income, he could very well get a reduction in his support payments.

Child support is calculated using pre-tax income of the payer. If he has suffered an involuntary reduction in his income, he could very well get a reduction in his support payments.
And if there is no difference between pre-tax and post-tax? I'm not talking about a couple of hundred dollars that is non-taxable. I'm talking 3500/month tax-free. I'm in payroll so I see tax on income every day, for him to make 3500/month net he would be making over 4000/month gross. Which would put him at his before his income dropped amount.

Here is an online MO support calculator. Just punch in the relevant information and you can see what his support payment should be.

http://freeform14.com/

Nowhere in there does it ask for how much taxes are being paid so his tax burden (or lack thereof) will make no difference.

LdiJ

And if there is no difference between pre-tax and post-tax? I'm not talking about a couple of hundred dollars that is non-taxable. I'm talking 3500/month tax-free. I'm in payroll so I see tax on income every day, for him to make 3500/month net he would be making over 4000/month gross. Which would put him at his before his income dropped amount.
I understand the point you are making and its not impossible to deviate from a standard calculation. At 3500.00 a month net, it would be closer to 4500.00 gross if the income were taxable. You could certainly make that argument to the judge. It might not fly, but its an argument worth making.

I understand the point you are making and its not impossible to deviate from a standard calculation. At 3500.00 a month net, it would be closer to 4500.00 gross if the income were taxable. You could certainly make that argument to the judge. It might not fly, but its an argument worth making.
Thank you. I realize it may not fly, it was just one of those well is it fair? I know, life isn't fair. Originally he asked me to voluntarily go to the courts and get the order lowered because his income went down, no documents showing me. Just the woe is me. He kept pushing for me to do it instead of going through the courts etc. I was originally going to do it until a mutual friend commented on my ex's untaxable income. I went online and did a calculator and realized that his disposable income did not go down, in reality it went up.

At that income level he doesn't really have much a tax break after all is accounted for, for the typical person making that salary amount they don't really end up paying any net taxes after everything is said and done..... like 47-51 percent of the population in in the US.

Last edited:

LdiJ

At that income level he doesn't really have much a tax break after all is accounted for, for the typical person making that salary amount they don't really end up paying any net taxes after everything is said and done..... like 47-51 percent of the population in in the US.
I am sorry but that simply is not true. If he has 4 children living in his home that he can claim as dependents that might be accurate, but if their mutual child is the only one, then you are completely wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">