• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bostonm

Florida.

Im a fireman that pays 1840 a month for 2 kids. I think I may have found the problem as to why I pay so much. I have 2 part time jobs, besides the fire dept, federal taxes are taken out of those checks weekly, and the amount I make at those 2 part time jobs are in a lower tax bracket. But when I go and file taxes at the end of the year, my combined 3 incomes are in the 25% bracket, so the whole time the 2 part time jobs have not had enough taxes pulled out and I end up owing another 6 or 7 thousand in taxes when I file. When they did my CS support calculations 3 years ago, the lawyer we used, used the tax deduction numbers from my pay stubs. Which for 2 of my jobs shows a much lower number than I actually end up owing, and also looks like I make more money monthly. This extra amount I end up owing the IRS is not figured into my calculations.

Do I have a case for a modification? From what I know, I believe federal taxes are an allowable deduction, and the number is about 6 thousand a year off and would be in my favor. I have had 3 lawyers tell me they cant figure out why I pay so much, and I think I just realized why. Please tell me Im correct!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Get a lawyer or someone in the know to take your actual tax return (rather than the pay stub) and compute the net income to use in the support calculations. If it's different you certainly could make a claim for modification. Doing some rough numbers based on what little information that was provided it looks like slightly under $100/mo difference based on the assumption you are underwithheld by $6000/yr.

You really should fix up your withholding, some day the IRS may wake up and hit you up with penalties for under withholding. You get safe harbor on the first year, but subsequently you can be hit up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">