• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbarill1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My ex is not signing the release of dependent as required in the divorce aggreement for 2004. I had received a letter from DOR in April stating that my daughter had turned 18 and that my case has been closed. I received a summons in October for failure to pay child support. I went to cort and was told that my ex had never sent the neccessary information to the DOR stating that my daughter was going to school. But that she was indeed going to school and that I was to pay all back support. Now she refuses to sign the form to release dependency on last years taxes. There is no amentment to the original divorce aggreement concerning this issue.
I am wondering if it is feasible to pursue this issue with court action since it will probably cost me about 2k to handle this problem.

Desperate

LdiJ

mbarill1 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My ex is not signing the release of dependent as required in the divorce aggreement for 2004. I had received a letter from DOR in April stating that my daughter had turned 18 and that my case has been closed. I received a summons in October for failure to pay child support. I went to cort and was told that my ex had never sent the neccessary information to the DOR stating that my daughter was going to school. But that she was indeed going to school and that I was to pay all back support. Now she refuses to sign the form to release dependency on last years taxes. There is no amentment to the original divorce aggreement concerning this issue.
I am wondering if it is feasible to pursue this issue with court action since it will probably cost me about 2k to handle this problem.

Desperate
If you are in arrears for child support for 2004 then you aren't entitled to the exemption. Therefore you would be wasting your money to take it to court. If you did pay all of your arrearages prior to the end of 2004, then you may have grounds to pursue it. However, if it will cost you 2k to pursue it then its probably not worth it financially. Even at the highest marginal tax rate the exemption isn't worth more than 2000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">