• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax refund offset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband has back due child support. His tax refunds are supposed to be offset to go towards the debt. I am self employed babysitting from my home, so I don't file any taxes. We have 3 children together which my husband claims and gets a child tax credit for. My question is, since they are my children too, am I entitled to any portion of that refund? Do my children have to pay for their fathers debt?

Gracie3787

StepmomsAreBest said:

My husband has back due child support. His tax refunds are supposed to be offset to go towards the debt. I am self employed babysitting from my home, so I don't file any taxes. We have 3 children together which my husband claims and gets a child tax credit for. My question is, since they are my children too, am I entitled to any portion of that refund? Do my children have to pay for their fathers debt?
Do you and hubby file a joint return and do you list your babysitting earnings on tax form?

If so, then you can file for injured spouse and recieve YOUR portion of refund.

IF you DO NOT LIST babysitting earnings:

1. You cannot recieve any refund- you have to have CLAIMED income before you can get any refund.
2. By not claiming your income- on a JOINT return, you will be committing tax fraud, and you and hubby can be hit with a HUGE back tax bill at any time.
Hopefully, you do not sign your husband's tax return.

haiku

StepmomsAreBest said:

you rhusband owes a debt, your children are paying for that NOW every day, while he continues not to pay it. better to have it get paid off quickly than contine to add up and up.

if you have contributed no income, none of the return is yours to take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">