• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grayrock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello.
I am wanting to terminate child support that I have been ordered to pay. The child was 13 before I was ordered to pay support, after my ex had eliminated the "other guys" as fathers. However, now the child is 18, not living at home, hasn't gone to school in over a year, unemployed, and is having a child of his own.
Would this be grounds to get my support order terminated?
Thanks.

LdiJ

Hello.
I am wanting to terminate child support that I have been ordered to pay. The child was 13 before I was ordered to pay support, after my ex had eliminated the "other guys" as fathers. However, now the child is 18, not living at home, hasn't gone to school in over a year, unemployed, and is having a child of his own.
Thanks.
If the child is definitely not living at home and definitely not going to school, you should be able to get child support terminated.

However, the fact that he is unemployed could be an issue if mom proves that she is still supporting him. I know of a very similar case out in the real world in Indiana, although the person in question was a pregnant daughter instead of a future father, and her father was not able to get child support terminated because mom proved that she was still supporting her, despite the fact that she was staying at her boyfriend's parent's home.

mistoffolees

Hello.
Thanks.
While LD is probably correct, let's start with your court order. What does it say (word for word, but without the names) about child support?

On 76 CHIMA

Hello.
Thanks.
It might just be the child support owed that your paying. Depending on when she actually submitted the order for child support, say she submitted the papers in 1998 and they served you in 2002, and she was receiving assistance from the state, you are responsible to pay back all the back pay to your x and to the state. SuxX huh...

Silverplum

This has nothing to do with his question.

It might just be the child support owed that your paying. Depending on when she actually submitted the order for child support, say she submitted the papers in 1998 and they served you in 2002, and she was receiving assistance from the state, you are responsible to pay back all the back pay to your x and to the state. SuxX huh...

grayrock

I had to send for a copy of my child support order as I cannot find my original copy. :( Anyway, here is the story in short:
Me and my ex-GF broke up when she was pregnant. She told me that the baby was NOT mine, and that it belonged to my best friend (not anymore). Needless to say, I wasn't made aware that I might be the father until 1998 (he was born in 1992). However, She wasn't the one who took me to court for child support. It was the state of Indiana because she was receiving welfare (medicaid/Foodstamps/housing/etc...). After a DNA test came back showing that I was the father, the state ordered me to pay back child support, and to continue paying the child support. I paid up all the back child support, and have been current up until about 2 or 3 months ago. (Lost my job, plant closure). I don't pay much in child support, but it's the fact that he is over 18. Has a baby on the way. Has no job. I don't feel I should pay child support for a child that has a child on the way, and doesn't go to school (He was kicked out of two schools, not sure on all that story) and doesn't have a job. He should be made to get a job and support his own child, now that he feels he is an adult.
And what irks me the most, especially with the state of Indiana, is I have two other children from a previous marriage. They haven't seen their mother since 1990. (they are both in their 20's now). And I have never received not one cent in child support. But I can 99% guarantee that if I were a woman, on welfare, that I would have received support. Both have graduated high school. Both have jobs (One is a Marine). I know that's irrelevant to the child support order. But I feel that I, and MANY men like me are unfairly targeted into child support and labeled as dead beat dads if we don't pay.
The madness has to stop.

CSO286

I had to send for a copy of my child support order as I cannot find my original copy. :( Anyway, here is the story in short:
Me and my ex-GF broke up when she was pregnant. She told me that the baby was NOT mine, and that it belonged to my best friend (not anymore). Needless to say, I wasn't made aware that I might be the father until 1998 (he was born in 1992).
Not important.

However, She wasn't the one who took me to court for child support. It was the state of Indiana because she was receiving welfare (medicaid/Foodstamps/housing/etc...).
When you are a single parent and apply for most types of state aid, one of the conditions for maintaining eligibility is that you comply with child support services. So, yes, the state expects that theabsent parent help support the child(ren). What worng with that?

After a DNA test came back showing that I was the father, the state ordered me to pay back child support, and to continue paying the child support. I paid up all the back child support,
OK.

and have been current up until about 2 or 3 months ago. (Lost my job, plant closure).
Ok.

I don't pay much in child support, but it's the fact that he is over 18. Has a baby on the way. Has no job. I don't feel I should pay child support for a child that has a child on the way, and doesn't go to school (He was kicked out of two schools, not sure on all that story) and doesn't have a job.
Well, you should be able to file to terminate any ongoing support, but you will still owe the the past due support you didn't pay when you lost your job. That doesn't go away at age 18/emancipation.

He should be made to get a job and support his own child, now that he feels he is an adult.
I agree. Still, my previous response stands.

And what irks me the most, especially with the state of Indiana, is I have two other children from a previous marriage. They haven't seen their mother since 1990. (they are both in their 20's now). And I have never received not one cent in child support.
Did you file for support?
If not, then you cannot get angry about Mom not paying a non-exisitent obligation.

But I can 99% guarantee that if I were a woman, on welfare, that I would have received support.
Actually, had you been any kind of single parent on welfare--man or woman--you yould have been required to cooperate with child support to locate and establish an order for the absent parent to pay. And, even that is no guaruntee that a parent will recieve the support as ordered.

So give up that argument.

Both have graduated high school. Both have jobs (One is a Marine). I know that's irrelevant to the child support order.
You're right, irrelevant.

But I feel that I, and MANY men like me are unfairly targeted into child support and labeled as dead beat dads if we don't pay.
The madness has to stop.
You helped create a life, why should you be exempt from supporting it? You still owe arrears, so you need to pay them. If the child has emancipated, file to terminate ongoing support. But you will owe the arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">