• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating Parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlksgal

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had custody of my daughter until 01/19/04-her father never paid child support. Now he has a lawyer and has papers filed against me :mad: ---on 03/31/05 I have a court date for contempt of court. :eek: I want to terminate my parental rights, I have no money for a lawyer and am in bankruptcy. I have had no contact for over 1 year. Do I have any rights? :eek:

VeronicaGia

rlksgal said:

I had custody of my daughter until 01/19/04-her father never paid child support. Now he has a lawyer and has papers filed against me :mad: ---on 03/31/05 I have a court date for contempt of court. :eek: I want to terminate my parental rights, I have no money for a lawyer and am in bankruptcy. I have had no contact for over 1 year. Do I have any rights? :eek:
Was he under court order to pay support? If not, he was under no obligation to pay.

If he is denying you court ordered visitation, you should have been filing contempt of court against him.

You cannot terminate your rights. Even if you could, your obligation to pay support would remain.

Grace_Adler

Actually you can terminate your rights IF the custodial parent agrees and they have to be the one to file for it AGAINST the other person and it has to qualify under what the grounds for TPRs are in TX.

Also in TX, support does end with a TPR, except for arrears. They are still owed unless legally released from them.

sundancer

I just don't understand

All I want to say is this poor child. Too many people just don't think about how the child will be affected. For this child to be with you for a period of time and I may be wrong but just wondering about child support. Now with the father and you want to terminate your rights. Don't you understand that means never to have anything to do with this child again for the rest of his or her life. A child that you gave birth to? How can it be?? I would be fighting tooth and nail to regain custody or at least visitation. Do you remember giving birth? Did you bond with this child? And if so how can you want to terminate your rights. I just don't understand how a mother can do such a thing.(this coming from a mother of 3) My children are so dear to me. Your child is obviously old enough to know you. Do you not think he or she will think your not wanting him or her is his or her fault? Do you not think there will be emotional problems? Oh I'm sorry you were too busy trying to find the money for an attorney to terminate your rights. You know if you think so little about your child you must not think much about yourself. And if you need money so bad and think so little of yourself there are jobs for hookers everyday. I'm sure you can make enough to terminate your rights. Or you can get an honest job and fight for custody!

MSJustice

She does not want custody, she hadnt seen the poor kid in a year. I think the kid would be better off without her too. I hope she has to pay all the back support too.

CJane

rlksgal said:

Why did you lose custody?

How old is the child?

Do you owe back child support?

Why haven't you had any contact in over a year?

Do you really know what 'terminating your rights' means?

How will you explain this to the child?

Would the Father agree to the termination?

If you asked the child, would the CHILD agree to the termination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">