• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Child Support in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbyrob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I live in Michigan and my ex lives in Illinois. She was living in Texas when we divoriced. My pay has been garnished and I am paying child support through the Attorney General's office. My son recently graduated high school and my obligation to pay child support has been met. I called my ex and she isn't going to take any action to terminate support. I called the Howard County District Court and was told I needed to FAX a petiton to terminate child support. I did that and was told that I also need to FAX an order for the judge to sign. I thought the court would do that based upon the petition I FAXED. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Robert B

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I live in Michigan and my ex lives in Illinois. She was living in Texas when we divoriced. My pay has been garnished and I am paying child support through the Attorney General's office. My son recently graduated high school and my obligation to pay child support has been met. I called my ex and she isn't going to take any action to terminate support. I called the Howard County District Court and was told I needed to FAX a petiton to terminate child support. I did that and was told that I also need to FAX an order for the judge to sign. I thought the court would do that based upon the petition I FAXED. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Robert B
Yes. You're missing the ORDER for the Judge to sign. They don't fill out paperwork for you: you provide it all to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">