• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Child Support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlmostDoneTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

(Non Custodial parent here in Texas.. I'll try to keep it brief..its all relevant)

Well, my CS here in Texas ends May 2016 (or June 2016..son graduates in June 2016..dunno when the actual last payment is). At any rate, every 3 years the Custodial Parent can ask for an increase in CS. Initially I started off at I think $585/mo for my son...9 years later I get a diff job, increase in pay, CS goes up to $900/mo. No biggie. I dont fight it, just fill out the paperwork and get it done. During this time my ex has a guy she's with, gets preggers, has a daughter. They break up (fighting, dont get along etc). She one day needs for me to watch her daughter when I get my son, so I say ok. Her ex doesnt see his daughter anymore (restraining order etc) and one day I just take her and my son home on visitation. I get attached and she does too. Well, years pass and I've been doing this for 12 years. She's my "daughter" albeit not legally but she is treated like one, has her own room, clothes, comes home when my son does (he's 16.5 now).

Over the years I've been driving 65 miles one way to pick up my kids (Custodial Parent moved when she got with a new guy, my daughters bio dad), she doesnt meet half way like she did for the first 3 months after moving. Anyway, thats what a Dad does. Such is life.

Now, my question... She has been getting odd ever since CS gets closer and closer to ending. Trying to ask me to pay CS after my son is 18 to which I said absolutely not. If you're thinking, well what about your Daughter. She'll go to me and tell me she needs this or that, then I will take her myself to buy clothes or whatever it is. My son, he wants to live with me after he graduates and go to a college here which I'm fine with. I'm assuming he'll need help paying for college, but thats another story.

I get a letter almost a month ago by the Attorney General for CS asking for voluntary questionnaire to be filled out to see if I need to pay more CS. Well I didnt bother filling it out since I figured I pay enough. I go beyond just CS..I paid for half of my son's Drivers Ed, bought Daughters school supplies, have bought other things for them over at the Custodial Parents house. Well just today I get another letter asking to fill it out and subsequently I threw it away.

Will Texas CS or Attorney General take me to court? Should I get ready to lawyer up, which is fine.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

(Non Custodial parent here in Texas.. I'll try to keep it brief..its all relevant)

Well, my CS here in Texas ends May 2016 (or June 2016..son graduates in June 2016..dunno when the actual last payment is). At any rate, every 3 years the Custodial Parent can ask for an increase in CS. Initially I started off at I think $585/mo for my son...9 years later I get a diff job, increase in pay, CS goes up to $900/mo. No biggie. I dont fight it, just fill out the paperwork and get it done. During this time my ex has a guy she's with, gets preggers, has a daughter. They break up (fighting, dont get along etc). She one day needs for me to watch her daughter when I get my son, so I say ok. Her ex doesnt see his daughter anymore (restraining order etc) and one day I just take her and my son home on visitation. I get attached and she does too. Well, years pass and I've been doing this for 12 years. She's my "daughter" albeit not legally but she is treated like one, has her own room, clothes, comes home when my son does (he's 16.5 now).

Over the years I've been driving 65 miles one way to pick up my kids (Custodial Parent moved when she got with a new guy, my daughters bio dad), she doesnt meet half way like she did for the first 3 months after moving. Anyway, thats what a Dad does. Such is life.

Now, my question... She has been getting odd ever since CS gets closer and closer to ending. Trying to ask me to pay CS after my son is 18 to which I said absolutely not. If you're thinking, well what about your Daughter. She'll go to me and tell me she needs this or that, then I will take her myself to buy clothes or whatever it is. My son, he wants to live with me after he graduates and go to a college here which I'm fine with. I'm assuming he'll need help paying for college, but thats another story.

I get a letter almost a month ago by the Attorney General for CS asking for voluntary questionnaire to be filled out to see if I need to pay more CS. Well I didnt bother filling it out since I figured I pay enough. I go beyond just CS..I paid for half of my son's Drivers Ed, bought Daughters school supplies, have bought other things for them over at the Custodial Parents house. Well just today I get another letter asking to fill it out and subsequently I threw it away.

Will Texas CS or Attorney General take me to court? Should I get ready to lawyer up, which is fine.
Throwing those letters away is pretty foolish...You are just making things more complicated for yourself.

single317dad

Totally agree. You're complicating matters by avoiding what will likely become a court action for child support modification. Such action will likely end in you paying 20% of your monthly net income in child support for the remainder of your obligation, assuming you bring home under $90k annually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">