• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Medical Insurance loophole???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atxguy

What is the name of your state? Texas

Something came to mind as a loop hole in getting credit to lower child support amounts. I'm not going to try it (or condone it), but I'm wondering if it would work and what others think about it. Most CS Orders state the NCP must provide medical insurance, etc. The amount the NCP pays for medical insurance is provided as a debit from their net income. Then this will determine (along with any other debits one qualifies for) how much one pays based on the percentage category they fall under. Suppose the NCP knew the AG was going to review their income, etc. to determine if they need to pay more etc. Could they purchase a medical insurance policy that is fairly expensive? When they meet with the AG, they would get that debit off their net income to determine how much they should pay. Two weeks after the meeting with the AG, the NCP signs up their child under their employers insurance plan and drops the expensive one they were paying “out of pocket” for. The NCP now is paying less for medical insurance since it is under their employer’s policy and they got a bigger debit against their net income because of the higher premium they are supposedly paying. I’m not advocating cheating the system (especially children), but I like to exploit any loopholes. I hope this makes sense; this is much harder to type out in lieu of explaining it in person. What do you think?

ceara19

atxguy said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Something came to mind as a loop hole in getting credit to lower child support amounts. I'm not going to try it (or condone it), but I'm wondering if it would work and what others think about it. Most CS Orders state the NCP must provide medical insurance, etc. The amount the NCP pays for medical insurance is provided as a debit from their net income. Then this will determine (along with any other debits one qualifies for) how much one pays based on the percentage category they fall under. Suppose the NCP knew the AG was going to review their income, etc. to determine if they need to pay more etc. Could they purchase a medical insurance policy that is fairly expensive? When they meet with the AG, they would get that debit off their net income to determine how much they should pay. Two weeks after the meeting with the AG, the NCP signs up their child under their employers insurance plan and drops the expensive one they were paying “out of pocket” for. The NCP now is paying less for medical insurance since it is under their employer’s policy and they got a bigger debit against their net income because of the higher premium they are supposedly paying. I’m not advocating cheating the system (especially children), but I like to exploit any loopholes. I hope this makes sense; this is much harder to type out in lieu of explaining it in person. What do you think?
If a person were to do this, they would get caught 99% of the time. The NCP has to give a copy of the insurance card and EOB to the CP AND the OAG. If the insurance were to "suddenly" change from the employer provided insurance to an individual plan, it will raise a red flag. When it switches back, if the OAG fails to notice, you can pretty much count on the CP to catch it.

Check you PM's, I sent you some info on the Texas OAG.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">