• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way I can stop paying back child support for a child I have full time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teasersmind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have a three year old son. I did not find out he was my son until he was almost two by paternity test. I filed for joint custody and that was what me and the childs mother have had since. I began paying back child support for the time I did not know he was my son. Well in november she left to another country. Her and I wrote out an agreement that I would have full custody of the child until she came back and it would return to joint. She was only suppose to be gone for one month. She still has not returned. She told me that she would be back on friday but she would like me to keep full custody for another year. I do not have the money nor do I think its right to be paying her the money for back child support while I am caring for the child fully.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have a three year old son. I did not find out he was my son until he was almost two by paternity test. I filed for joint custody and that was what me and the childs mother have had since. I began paying back child support for the time I did not know he was my son. Well in november she left to another country. Her and I wrote out an agreement that I would have full custody of the child until she came back and it would return to joint. She was only suppose to be gone for one month. She still has not returned. She told me that she would be back on friday but she would like me to keep full custody for another year. I do not have the money nor do I think its right to be paying her the money for back child support while I am caring for the child fully.
You need to file for custody and modification of support based on the current situation. You will still be obligated for arrears owed. Those arrears can be offset with the new support order.

I would also suggest you find a hood child counselor to help the child through this difficult time.

Good luck to you both...

Blue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">