• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a max Salary Garnishment % FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newwifefl

What is the name of your state? FL

I know FL calcs CS based on shared income %. But can anyone tell me if there is a max that wages can be garnished. I've heard 25% of disposable income but not sure if this applies to CS? Thank you.

FLORIDAMOOSE

What is the name of your state? FL

I know FL calcs CS based on shared income %. But can anyone tell me if there is a max that wages can be garnished. I've heard 25% of disposable income but not sure if this applies to CS? Thank you.
Federal law limits the maximum amount that can be garnished to the lesser of 25 percent of your disposable income (what's left after required taxes and so forth are withheld) or 25 percent of your weekly wages that are over 30 times the minimum hourly wage. Up to 50 percent of your disposable income can be garnished for child or spousal support.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Federal law limits the maximum amount that can be garnished to the lesser of 25 percent of your disposable income (what's left after required taxes and so forth are withheld) or 25 percent of your weekly wages that are over 30 times the minimum hourly wage. Up to 50 percent of your disposable income can be garnished for child or spousal support.
Close, but not quite. It can exceed the 50% if there is an arrearage of > 12 weeks and supporting a second family. It can get to 60% if there is an arrearage of > 12 weeks and NOT support a second family.

Gracie3787

If you're going to post advice, please post accurate advice. Please see the Consumer Credit Protection Act, Title 15 chapter 41: http:/www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/#TITLES

Gracie3787

Sorry Gracie! Where did I go wrong?
An easy way to remember is this:

No second family to support, the max is:
60% if no arrears owed. 65% if arrears owed for at least 12 weeks.

Second family to support, the max is:
50% if no arrears owed. 55% if arrears owed for at least 12 weeks.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Directly from a Florida child support order. It is a Gracie says:

The toal amount to be deducted from the obligor's income may not exceed those limits established by the Consumer Credit Protect Act, 15 U.S.C. 1673(b) (50% of disposable income where there is a second family, 60% where there is no second family and an additional 5% of either limit if teh arrearage is equal to twelve (12) weeks or more in support payments).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">