• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way to make a direct child support payment that will be credited?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lgreen09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Background: No account with the payment unit has been created yet. I want my children to continue living in their home. I need to be able to get the money there faster. Is there a way, in Texas, to make that payment directly to the mother and be credited for it without issues?

Last edited:

Lgreen09

Duly noted

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Well, since it appears that you don't want to give any background...I'll say that there is no reason to do so if the state is handling it already.

Lgreen09

Direct payment

Background: No account with the payment unit has been created yet. I want my children to continue living in their home. I need to be able to get the money there faster. So once again is there a way, in Texas, to make that payment directly to the mother and be credited for it?

Zigner

Background: No account with the payment unit has been created yet. I want my children to continue living in their home. I need to be able to get the money there faster. So once again is there a way, in Texas, to make that payment directly to the mother and be credited for it?
Is there a court order in place?

Lgreen09

We have signed off on our final orders and are awaiting a judge finalize it. It states that my payments would start today but no account is up and running with the state disbursement unit. My wife just started working so I know she won't be able to make her house payment on time. I want to get that money there so they don't take a chance on losing their home.

Zigner

We have signed off on our final orders and are awaiting a judge finalize it. It states that my payments would start today but no account is up and running with the state disbursement unit. My wife just started working so I know she won't be able to make her house payment on time. I want to get that money there so they don't take a chance on losing their home.
Your order should indicate how payments are to be made. You should follow it or risk that possibility that your payments might be considered to be "gifts".
You can try to protect yourself by making a note on the check that you hand to her stating that it's for child support due on today's date. I'd also suggest that you get a receipt from her stating the same thing.

Silverplum

Then yes, I think you should make a one-time CS payment to Mom today. Note on your check (not cash!) that this is CS payment #1. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your order should indicate how payments are to be made. You should follow it or risk that possibility that your payments might be considered to be "gifts".
You can try to protect yourself by making a note on the check that you hand to her stating that it's for child support due on today's date. I'd also suggest that you get a receipt from her stating the same thing.
AND make a copy of the check!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
AND (LOL) when you get your bank statement, keep the one that shows the image of the cashed check (front and back) or get a copy from your bank - front and back!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">