• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

threatening to take me to court over braces

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejames23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/VA

My daughters mother (lives in PA) is threatening to take me to court over braces that she got our daughter - she wants me to pay 200 dollars of the bill

we just recently reinstated child support (she went to jail and the courts discontinued child support) and I am paying the amount it was before when I made less money

I dont know if it matters, but i have 3 children living with me - 2 children i pay child support on

I do not receive any child support for the children living with me

i wish i had the money to help towards braces but I am tapped to the max and she didn't even consult me when getting them -

Can she take me back to court? She won't agree to 50 or 100 a month either - 200 or nothing

ejames23

Does your court order address orthodontics? Dental?

Do you share joint legal custody?
no i dont have joint legal and no it does not address orthodontics or dental with the exception I am required to hold insurance for her

they did not use my insurance or alert me - ex and her bf went out and got braces 6 months ago and just started sending me text that they will take me back to court if i dont pay 200 towards it

I know her bf has no legal bearing

Silverplum

no i dont have joint legal and no it does not address orthodontics or dental with the exception I am required to hold insurance for her

they did not use my insurance or alert me - ex and her bf went out and got braces 6 months ago and just started sending me text that they will take me back to court if i dont pay 200 towards it

I know her bf has no legal bearing
No joint legal custody = You have no say in your child's treatments and Mom doesn't have to consult you.

Does your insurance cover orthodontics? Does your order assign each parent responsibilty for a percentage of the child's expenses?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You offered to pay it in installments. Since you seem willing to pay it, instead of talking, DO. Send $50 per month. I suspect she'll be perfectly happy to cash the checks. Even if she took you to court (she won't), you'll have it paid off by the time it sees a court room.

ejames23

No joint legal custody = You have no say in your child's treatments and Mom doesn't have to consult you.

Does your insurance cover orthodontics? Does your order assign each parent responsibilty for a percentage of the child's expenses?
Yes my insurance does cover orthodontics (although, I think only up to 2000 - I will have to check). No our order does not - we do not have a very strong order

You offered to pay it in installments. Since you seem willing to pay it, instead of talking, DO. Send $50 per month. I suspect she'll be perfectly happy to cash the checks. Even if she took you to court (she won't), you'll have it paid off by the time it sees a court room.
is there anyway to pay the money without it being considered a gift and being order to pay more. I am thinking a check with a memo it is for braces.

Why do you not get CS for the children living with you?
because the mother passed away several years ago. I should have worded it better because when I re-read my statement, it sounded misleading

CJane

They RECENTLY started demanding the money, or you RECENTLY decided you'd had enough of their pestering?

When did you find out the child had braces?
What is your visitation schedule?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">