• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In TN can I at 16 choose where/who I live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopefullyfree

I live in Tennessee my parents have called me satan and emotionaly abused me. They also are unemployed. Can I being 16 move out of state to NC if I live with someone? Can I like choose my gaurdian? My parents will not be willing to give me up, so is it legal for me to decide?

FlyingRon

No, you can not decide to run away on your own. If there is real abuse contact the authorities and perhaps foster placement will be an option. Try 800-4ACHILD for further assistance.

Silverplum

Why is this under "Child Support?"

I live in Tennessee my parents have called me satan and emotionaly abused me. They also are unemployed. Can I being 16 move out of state to NC if I live with someone? Can I like choose my gaurdian? My parents will not be willing to give me up, so is it legal for me to decide?

olhobbes

I can't offer any legal advice, but I will say hang in there. It can be hard living in an environment like that ( I know ), but you are fortunate in that you recognize it's not the "norm", and it's not healthy.

Take every situation and make yourself better from it. If you can't get out of there, then use that negative pressure to make yourself a better person.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Emancipation is not and never was intended to be a means to allow a minor to leave home, no matter how bad their situation is. It was and is intended to be a means of providing legal protections to a minor who, for reasons outside their control, found themselves living on their own.

I don't know off the top of my head what TN's rules for emancipation are, even if you qualified (which you don't) but if you are not capable of paying EVERY SINGLE CENT of what it costs to support you (that means rent, food, utilities, clothing, transportation, medical care, insurance, staples, school fees and supplies, etc. - all paid, or at least budgeted, 100% by YOU, without the help of friends, relatives, or the state) then no judge will emancipate you no matter how bad your situation is.

In no state can a 16 year old legally leave home without parental permission, particularly not to leave the state. If you did so, when (that's when, not if) your parents and/or law enforcement caught up with you, the people you were staying with could end up in jail for allowing you to stay there against your parents' wishes.

If you are truly being abused, then call the Child Protective Services.

CSO286

I call LittleCSO a "Horrible, Terrible Ungrateful, No-Good, Very Bad Child".

LittleCSO calls me the "Most Horriblest, Rottenest, Meanest Parent on the Planet".

And we LOOOOOVEEE each other to the ends of the earth and back.

Having unemployed parents doesn't mean you get to be emancipated.

You do realize that emancipation means you are legally declared an adult,responsible for your own expenses and living arrangements. You don't get a guardian.

If your parents are abusing you, call Childrens' services. If they find that the allegations are substantiated and severe enough to warrant removal from your home, you could expect (at best) to be placed with a family member, or you could end up in a foster home, or some sort of group home or residence hall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">