• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too Soon To Modify Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AHBRMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

My ex and I went to court three weeks ago because he wanted to modify child support based on the fact that his income has decreased. The judge determined that the ex left his prior employer willingly and would not allow the support modification.

Friday I received a notice from the Dept. of Child Support Services telling me he is trying to modify the support amount again. DCCS has never been involved in our case until now. The ex is over 10k in arrears and told me after we walked out of court three weeks ago that he has no intention on paying me anything.

Here's my question: Even though the judge denied the modification, can he now turn around and file another case with DCCS because going to court didn't go his way? I told the representative from DCCS that we had just gone to court and she was completely unaware of the fact that the judge made that decision or that we even had a recent court date. Is this something I should obtain an attorney for? Who has more of a say in the matter, DCCS or a judge?
My ex and I live in separate states and he has not see our daughter (by his choice) in over three years.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">