• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totally ignorant about subject

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopefl

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I am trying to find out how to figure child support. I have one 2.5 year old daughter. My husband is currently bringing home around 2600/m. Is it based on a percentage? Is the amount relevant to how much I make or my situation? Right now I am a homemaker bringing in no income, but during and after, plan on getting a job, but not making very much...also, not needing much. Am moving to my mom's house and won't have any bills. Also, if he goes to a job making less in a few years, does my child support amount lessen or does he have to get multiple jobs to make more money. Especially since as children get older they require more money. Please advise. Thank you.

Silverplum

Actually, that alllaw calculator is incorrect for CS calculations in CO.

IF you get custody that provides for CS payable to you, the calculations will be based in part on parenting time, as well as on insurance and other variables.

Here's a link to a basic starting point:
http://www.coloradodivorcemediation.com/news/news.asp?display=article&ArtID=75

The correct CO calculator is also on that site, though it will be next to impossible to obtain a correct amount UNTIL parenting time, insurance coverage, and other variables are adjudicated.

MtnMoon

hopefl said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
I am trying to find out how to figure child support. I have one 2.5 year old daughter. My husband is currently bringing home around 2600/m. Is it based on a percentage? Is the amount relevant to how much I make or my situation? Right now I am a homemaker bringing in no income, but during and after, plan on getting a job, but not making very much...also, not needing much. Am moving to my mom's house and won't have any bills. Also, if he goes to a job making less in a few years, does my child support amount lessen or does he have to get multiple jobs to make more money. Especially since as children get older they require more money. Please advise. Thank you.
Here is the Website address for the Colorado Child Support Enforcement: http://www.childsupport.state.co.us/home/indexIndex.jsp

nextwife

hopefl said:
plan on getting a job, but not making very much...also, not needing much. Am moving to my mom's house and won't have any bills. Also, if he goes to a job making less in a few years, does my child support amount lessen or does he have to get multiple jobs to make more money. Especially since as children get older they require more money. .

The TIME the children spend with BOTH their parents is also important. He should not be forced to work multiple jobs while you choose to make minimal financial contribution. You should both cooperate so that both of you have REAL time with the kids. Dad's job is not to be an ATM. Example, my husband and I decided he should turn DOWN a promotion that would have meant more money, but FAR less time with our daughter. My own dad was terminal for a few years before I reached adulthood, and died before - and what I cherish is all those Sunday and Saturday afternoons he spent taking me all sorts of places, and surprise weeknight concerts he took me to. I'm very glad I have those memories instead of having had more STUFF that his working during that time would have brought us.

hopefl

Are you cooled off, nextwife? I have a specific job lined up and a great way of life for my daughter and myself (also, which my husband is in full agreeance with), but the fact is...I won't be making much on paper. Part of the pay is sharing a 2 bed apt with 2 other adults with their furnishings, while my stuff is stored. As far as your turning down a promotion, I assume you weren't making less. When we recently moved here to CO, we took a $20,000.00 pay cut for a better quality of life. Obviously things didn't work out, but neither here nor there. I believe that choices that you make in life have reprocussions. This is his choice and he is willing to step up to the plate, but I know that soon he will be making alot less, hence my concern. This is a forum for help and advice, not for you to stand on a soapbox and be judgemental. Think about that.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
hopefl said:
Part of the pay is sharing a 2 bed apt with 2 other adults with their furnishings, while my stuff is stored.
And you think this is an appropriate living situation for your child? Wow.

MtnMoon

hopefl said:
Are you cooled off, nextwife? I have a specific job lined up and a great way of life for my daughter and myself (also, which my husband is in full agreeance with), but the fact is...I won't be making much on paper. Part of the pay is sharing a 2 bed apt with 2 other adults with their furnishings, while my stuff is stored. As far as your turning down a promotion, I assume you weren't making less. When we recently moved here to CO, we took a $20,000.00 pay cut for a better quality of life. Obviously things didn't work out, but neither here nor there. I believe that choices that you make in life have reprocussions. This is his choice and he is willing to step up to the plate, but I know that soon he will be making alot less, hence my concern. This is a forum for help and advice, not for you to stand on a soapbox and be judgemental. Think about that.
I live in CO, too. You may wish to consider higher education expenses...oh, and future orthodontics...when you file your court paperwork. It could be very worthwhile to peruse the CO State Statutes and know what they contain with regard to child support, visitation, custody, education expenses, etc.

Here are some websites:

Index of Litigation CRS (Colorado Revised Statutes):
http://www.childrensjustice.org/litigation/Litigation/C.R.S./

Look under: CRS 14-10-115 Child support - guidelines - schedule of basic child support obligations.

Also, the Office of Legislative Legal Services, Colorado General Assembly:
http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/HTML/colorado_revised_statutes.htm

You may also try these Colorado Law Facilitator & Pro Se Resources:

Arapahoe County Justice Center
Pro Se Resource Center
Petra Tallman
Arapahoe District Court
7325 S Potomac
Englewood, CO 80112
303-645-1755 or 303-792-2041

Denver County District Court
Information & Referral Office
Chris Hardaway
Denver County District Court
5353 E Dartmouth Avenue #301
Denver, CO 80227
303-989-5293 or 303-716-2813

Jefferson County Combined Court
Self Help Center
Shannon Fuller, Clerk of Court
Traci Worthan, Self-Help Coordinator
100 Jefferson County Parkway
Golden, CO 80401
303-271-6175 or 303-271-6102

El Paso County Combined Court
Pro Se Clinic
Lila M Cooper
20 E Vermijo
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
719-448-7783 or 719-227-5160

Hope some of this helps! :)

hopefl

Mtnmoon,

Thank you so much for your help and info and also, not placing judgement. It is very refreshing. I am checking out those sights, but I just wanted to let you know that that is the reason I came on here and am grateful for the info.

Thanks again!

MtnMoon

hopefl said:
Mtnmoon,

Thank you so much for your help and info and also, not placing judgement. It is very refreshing. I am checking out those sights, but I just wanted to let you know that that is the reason I came on here and am grateful for the info.

Thanks again!

Hey...you are welcome! :) I did a lot of research because both my ex and I live in CO...so at first I thought I was supposed to go through CO for a modification... but that's not the case. Anyway...I'm happy to know that all that info will possibly help someone out!

:D

Silverplum

MtnMoon said:
(snip) Here are some websites:
You may also try these Colorado Law Facilitator & Pro Se Resources:

Arapahoe County Justice Center
Pro Se Resource Center
Petra Tallman
Arapahoe District Court
7325 S Potomac
Englewood, CO 80112
303-645-1755 or 303-792-2041
Dude, the Arapahoe County Self Help Center has been closed for YEARS.

MtnMoon

Silverplum said:
Dude, the Arapahoe County Self Help Center has been closed for YEARS.
LOL... I'm not a dude...but thanks for the info...and I'm taking the position that you were trying to be helpful and not sarcastic. :) I'll take that off of my list.

Silverplum

MtnMoon said:
LOL... I'm not a dude...but thanks for the info...and I'm taking the position that you were trying to be helpful and not sarcastic. :) I'll take that off of my list.
You don't need to take a position, but why would I even bother if I wasn't trying to help? ;)

MtnMoon

Silverplum said:
You don't need to take a position, but why would I even bother if I wasn't trying to help? ;)
Well...sometimes one can't tell if the poster is being sarcastic...especially when using capital letters (which can be taken as someone yelling)... So I gathered you were being helpful and I truly appreciate it. :D

Silverplum

MtnMoon said:
Well...sometimes one can't tell if the poster is being sarcastic...especially when using capital letters (which can be taken as someone yelling)... So I gathered you were being helpful and I truly appreciate it. :D
Ah, I get it. I meant the caps as in, "many, many years; so many I can't remember when it was last functioning."

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">