• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trifling dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LibbyD

The name of my State is Florida. My child's father wants to stop paying child support because my son has turned 18. My son is still my dependent and is currently in college. How can I have the father keep paying child support? His father has had me subpoenaed so that he can stop paying.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The name of my State is Florida. My child's father wants to stop paying child support because my son has turned 18. My son is still my dependent and is currently in college. How can I have the father keep paying child support? His father has had me subpoenaed so that he can stop paying.
Does the original order state that he is to continue paying after the child turns 18, or does it state that support ends at 18?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Has your son graduated HS?

ETA: Sorry - see your son is in college. FL CS generally ends at 18, unless your order states otherwise.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I highly recommend teaching your son how to be (more) financially independent during this very valuable learning period he's undergoing. In other words ... finding his own way to support himself.

Excellent idea all around, no?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dad's trifling? Looks like you are money hungry. So does that make you a golddigger?

LdiJ

Dad's trifling? Looks like you are money hungry. So does that make you a golddigger?
I went back and reread her post like six times trying to find the "trifling" before I finally realized that it was in the title.:eek:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
When threads like this pop up I can't help but wonder if mom really needs it for the kid or for herself.
I end up wondering if it's just one more case of "want", rather than "need". Unfortunately it tends to be the former, not the latter.

LdiJ

I end up wondering if it's just one more case of "want", rather than "need". Unfortunately it tends to be the former, not the latter.
I dunno, if the custodial parent is still paying health insurance, car insurance, cell phone, and is still supplying housing and all that goes with it while the child is in college, I am not sure that I can blame them for wanting the other parent to still contribute. That doesn't mean that legally the other parent has to contribute, just that it can be understandable that the custodial parents wants help and hopes that the law allows for that.

My daughter and the grandkids have moved in and out of my home a couple of times. I have always been amazed at the difference in the bills and the costs of groceries and sundries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">