• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

typically how long does it take to get support garnishements stopped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCPhelp

What is the name of your state? NY

Soon we will be contacting the Support Collection Unit and the Family Court to terminate child support and garnishment from my husband's paycheck for the child the support is for will be turning 21.

Typically how long in advance of his 21st birthday should we start this process? Also what forms do we have to file in order for this to happen? Can this be done without a lawyer?

Thanks,
NCPhelp

Zephyr

that question could probably be answered better with a quick 2 minute phone call to your local csea.

AHA

NCPhelp said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Soon we will be contacting the Support Collection Unit and the Family Court to terminate child support and garnishment from my husband's paycheck for the child the support is for will be turning 21.

Typically how long in advance of his 21st birthday should we start this process? Also what forms do we have to file in order for this to happen? Can this be done without a lawyer?

Thanks,
NCPhelp
It is your husband that has to start the process and contact SCU, you can't get involved in it.

NCPhelp

I understand he has to start the process, we (him and I) were curious of the lead time that HE needs to contact SCU. I was just asking the question on his behalf.

Thanks

VeronicaGia

Your husband should give it at least three months. No one can tell you how many cases your local CSE has. Even if he gets his date before the actual date the child emancipates, he may get the order that the child will emancipate on that date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">