• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unable to pay child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would also suggest seeing if you can't find a group that offers legal services to low income women in your area, they might be able to assist you in getting your CS lowered to a reasonable sum.
$130 a month isn't a reasonable amount? Are you serious, sodaman? My 14 yo can eat $130 worth of food in a week all on her own!

(and btw, OP - stepmom is not at all responsible for helping support your child.)

mommyof4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am a non-custodal parent. My ex-husband has moved to TN with my son and has refused to let me see him. This last summer they were in NY and did not let me know so that I could see him. When I call to talk to him they will not answer the phone. The first time I went to court for child support I was only legally obligated to pay $50/month, but I was making enough money to support myself and agreed to pay $60 bi-weekly instead. Since then I have lost my job and decided to go back to school. The judge would not alow me to lower my payments back to the original $50/month. Now I am also pregnant and unable to work due to complications with my pregnancy. My ex-husband is now trying to force me into signing over my rights to my son and is taking me back to court for unpaid child support and medical expences. I can not afford to pay my child support and am afraid that I might loose my son for ever. Is there anything that I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So, you are planning on giving the soon-to-be baby in adoption and are planning on getting a job, right? I mean, after all, you can't afford to support your existing child, so you realize there is no way you will be able to support 2.

Get a job and pay your support. Quit whining. The excuses you have presented don't fly when a poster with outdoor plumbing posts. They don't fly for you, either.

jesscronin@comc

Are you kidding me?

:eek: First off, when you posted this question, did you really believe that someone would post some sort of a revelation such as.....oh sweetie, your right, you should not have to support your son. They are being unfair to you in your situation. Legal advice is that you are not responsible to support your child and how unfair is it that the father would request such a thing from you. Just don't pay it!!! The law is that they can't force you to do anything.....GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! First off, the father doesn't have the option of looking at your son and saying "sweetheart, I don't have enough money for you to be able to eat today" Second, visitation and child support have nothing to do with each other. One does not justify the other. I was a single mother raising 2 children for a long time. My ex-husband remarried, had another baby, and can't pay his child support. He is $17000.00 in the rears. He is court ordered no visitation. His response "your mom has married someone with money now, he's rich, I shouldn't have to pay support" come on....where do these type of people come from? My husband took this as a package deal - that still doesn't mean that he is financially responsible for every aspect of their life. You asked for legal advice, rather than to be judged. Here is it sweetie......He can't FORCE you to sign over your parental rights, but, seems to me you want out of your responsibility - sign him over. It's the only way to stop the current support from adding up. If you want him in your life GET A JOB!! No other way out. Choice 1 or Choice 2. if you don't pay the support now......you do have the option of having the amount build up and then you could get current when your situation changes. Just know that if you don't take care of it, the amount will continue to build against you as it has against the father of my children. When you are in arrears in child support you can get your DL suspended, will be unable to get your tax return (it will go straight to the father of your son) and you won't be able to buy a house in the future until it is resolved. - of course, when you CAN afford to buy a house you will be in a better situation to pay your support and if you can afford the house, you can afford to support 1/2 of your son's expenses (at least that's how it should be) Just remember, that child is just as much your blood as the one you are carrying now. Your ex didn't get pregnant on his own and if you play you pay. Non-custodial parents who can't pay their child support should be FORCED into birth control. Your an adult right?? Part of living in the "real" world is learning to take care of your responsibilites...not just to wonder around the earth, doing whatever you damn well please and expecting other people to clean up the mess you leave behind.

AHA

my son is being taken care of. My ex has remarried and the only reason they are taking me back to court is to try to force me to sign over my rights! I pay as much as I can when I can, but I have to eat too, or am I supposed to live on the street so that his father and step mother can aford to pay for there 2nd car?
Get a job!!!!!! Ever heard of evening school???

BTW, a second car is a hell of a lot cheaper than a second child. Just because you THOUGHT you couldn't get pregnant again, that is no reason to ride bareback and then decide to keep a child you can't afford to raise they way it deserves to be raised.
You chose your situation, now it's time for you to start getting out of it by doing justice for your kids, not for you.

drpepper404

IN RE the bold....visitation would be enforced if she took the appropriate measures to get it enforced....- court
If you have the money to hire a lawyer and go to court time and time again they court may actually take action to enforce visitation. If you don't have the money, and for someone that has trouble with $120 a month bill it's unlikely that she does, there's relatively littled recourse at her disposal.

OP- please do not put weight into what this person has said about statutory limitations on support, waiting for that to happen will ruin your credit, your finances, and your life....

as soon as you can, start paying your support, with extra towards the arrears.....
I near said there won't be negative consequences, I merely noted that most states have SOL's on child support or legal dormancy takes effect.

drpepper404

$130 a month isn't a reasonable amount? Are you serious, sodaman? My 14 yo can eat $130 worth of food in a week all on her own!

(and btw, OP - stepmom is not at all responsible for helping support your child.)
If she doesn't have the money then it's not reasonable.

Zephyr

If you have the money to hire a lawyer and go to court time and time again they court may actually take action to enforce visitation. If you don't have the money, and for someone that has trouble with $120 a month bill it's unlikely that she does, there's relatively littled recourse at her disposal.

I near said there won't be negative consequences, I merely noted that most states have SOL's on child support or legal dormancy takes effect.
one does not NEED a lawyer to get a matter before the court, especially when not working- they have nothing but time

drpepper404

So, you are planning on giving the soon-to-be baby in adoption and are planning on getting a job, right? I mean, after all, you can't afford to support your existing child, so you realize there is no way you will be able to support 2.

Get a job and pay your support. Quit whining. The excuses you have presented don't fly when a poster with outdoor plumbing posts. They don't fly for you, either.
I'm curious, should women who live off child support give up their children for adoption because they aren't living up to their legal obligation to support their children finanically? What a horrid shrew you must be to say something like that to another human being.

BL

one does not NEED a lawyer to get a matter before the court, especially when not working- they have nothing but time
Exactly .

I did NOT have a lawyer at my CS hearings for modification .

To Petition and have it heard cost nothing .

I wrote letters to my congress person , contacted agencies , acquired booklets , read and learned the Laws .

I fought with dismissals , etc . .

The hearing examiner wasn't happy , but I won out .

I asked the questions I did for reasons .

The poster has chose not to come back and answer them .

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am a non-custodal parent. My ex-husband has moved to TN with my son and has refused to let me see him. This last summer they were in NY and did not let me know so that I could see him. When I call to talk to him they will not answer the phone. The first time I went to court for child support I was only legally obligated to pay $50/month, but I was making enough money to support myself and agreed to pay $60 bi-weekly instead. Since then I have lost my job and decided to go back to school. The judge would not alow me to lower my payments back to the original $50/month. Now I am also pregnant and unable to work due to complications with my pregnancy. My ex-husband is now trying to force me into signing over my rights to my son and is taking me back to court for unpaid child support and medical expences. I can not afford to pay my child support and am afraid that I might loose my son for ever. Is there anything that I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
drpepper404
You are giving wrong advice to infer there is relatively little recourse at her disposal.

The poster was originally ordered to $50.00 monthly , but agreed to pay more .

Therefor the OP would possibly fall under the indigent " poor person " status , possibly qualifying for an appointed attorney at no cost , for the Custody/Visitation matter .

mommyof4

I'm curious, should women who live off child support give up their children for adoption because they aren't living up to their legal obligation to support their children finanically? What a horrid shrew you must be to say something like that to another human being.

And what a incompetent moron you must be to give out the INCORRECT information you continue to post.

Gee, guess you don't like the idea of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, huh?

Why am I not surprised.

Now, post the statutes for ALL 50 states that will back up your claim that the only state that does not have a SOL for child support arrears, no matter the circumstances, is correct.

Go ahead. We are all holding our breath until you do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">