• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unborn child, fathers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theodorewolfe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rochester New York. My bestfriend and his girlfriend are pregnant. She is a bit controlling here, she threatens him that he will not see his child or have any rights un less he does everything she says. Now he has told me in confidence that he is not happy being with her and doesnt want to stay with her however, he does want to take the step and responsibilty to the child. He does not want to loose his child he just doesnt want to stay with her.What can he do? Where does he stand?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Unless Dad are married to Mom, presumptive fathers have no rights until given to them by a court of law. And that is not happening until after Baby is born and presumptive father is legally declared Dad. Then, he has the right to file for Custody/Visitation/Child Support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My bestfriend and his girlfriend are pregnant.
Unless there's been some miracle of modern medicine that I haven't hear of, your best friend is NOT pregnant. Not at all.

And if he has questions, he'd be best served asking them himself.

Antigone*

Unless there's been some miracle of modern medicine that I haven't hear of, your best friend is NOT pregnant. Not at all.
:p:p:p I was thinking the same thing.

OP ~ Once the baby is born he can man up and file for paternity, support and visitation. Until such time that he does that the baby's mother does not have to allow this legal stranger to even see the child.

Theodorewolfe

unborn child, Fathers rights

I had called the local Family Court and DSS and yes you are correct. Father has no rights until he is proven to be the father and the Courts decide further action. Its just hard on young couples today when they get in situations such as this. Thank you.

Just Blue

I had called the local Family Court and DSS and yes you are correct. Father has no rights until he is proven to be the father and the Courts decide further action. Its just hard on young couples today when they get in situations such as this. Thank you.

And yet as hard as it is, it was your buddy's decision to place himself in this situation. So he need to deal with the fallout himself.

mistoffolees

Its just hard on young couples today when they get in situations such as this.
It's always been hard on young people when they do stupid things.

in the past, though, they didn't expect to have things handed to them. The mother to be was typically sent away to live with a maiden aunt and then spend the rest of her life slaving away sewing to support herself and her child.

Today, life is actually far easier for people who do stupid things than it was 100 (or even 50) years ago.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh please. They decided to make a baby outside of a marital relationship, which relegates the father to a zero status. They didn't just "get" into a situation like this. They chose it. He's not a victim here.

xylene

It's always been hard on young people when they do stupid things.

in the past, though, they didn't expect to have things handed to them. The mother to be was typically sent away to live with a maiden aunt and then spend the rest of her life slaving away sewing to support herself and her child.

Today, life is actually far easier for people who do stupid things than it was 100 (or even 50) years ago.
Life was rough before they invented gynecology. :rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Life was rough before they invented gynecology. :rolleyes:
Well, I have some first hand (actually third hand...) experience with this. My mother's sister got pregnant as a teen - and she was literally run out of the family. I didn't even know I had another aunt until I was visiting my dying grandmother and some stranger showed up at the hospital and my mother introduced her as her sister.

THAT is the way teen pregnancies used to be dealt with. So I really don't want to hear about how hard it is today. Especially since it was difficult or impossible for teenagers to get birth control in those days without parent's permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">